Umbellifer specific book reccomendations?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Starting to get my head around a handful of the common umbellifers but I'd like to get more confidence in my ID skills of them and the other foraging books I have just don't get close enough for my liking. Are there any good books people can reccomend?

I've come across umbellifers of the British Isles by Sabina G knees but not a lot else showing.

Thanks!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Like over here, most of the plant books are organized by biogeoclimatic zones. What I am most likely to find, all plants, in a particular region. I know, that means a pile of books. Actually, such books are the most popular books sold in all of Canada. The local one, I keep in the truck. Not useful in the house.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Great that you're getting into the subject - unfortunately, I suspect you will find, as I have done, that the more you learn, the more there is to learn.

I think you're really getting beyond the foraging book level; I suggest you look at botanical ID books. The two I use extensively are 'Wild Flowers of Britain and Ireland' by Marjorie Blamey et al and published by Bloomsbury, and 'The Wild Flower Key' by Francis Rose published by Frederick Warne. If you can get to grips with using the key it will get you looking at the diagnostic characteristics of the plants but it's a good reference book even if you don't use the key.

Both have good sections on the carrot/umbellifer family, Blamey 18 pages and Rose 23 pages.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Great that you're getting into the subject - unfortunately, I suspect you will find, as I have done, that the more you learn, the more there is to learn.

I think you're really getting beyond the foraging book level; I suggest you look at botanical ID books. The two I use extensively are 'Wild Flowers of Britain and Ireland' by Marjorie Blamey et al and published by Bloomsbury, and 'The Wild Flower Key' by Francis Rose published by Frederick Warne. If you can get to grips with using the key it will get you looking at the diagnostic characteristics of the plants but it's a good reference book even if you don't use the key.

Both have good sections on the carrot/umbellifer family, Blamey 18 pages and Rose 23 pages.

Thanks Andy, I'll take a look into them for sure. I felt like that's what I'm lacking right now, the diagnostic tools to identify the different umbellifers. I've got maybe 4/5 foraging books now, and they have been great, but your right they are limiting. I also have 2 wild flower books now and even they aren't cutting it for diagnostics. I like the sound of the wild flower key especially.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE