Ultimate Bushcraft Clothing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
It arrived early this morning. I've always felt at odds with most clothing for the outdoors. You either wind up looking like Rambo, Natty Bumpo or Paris Hilton on the ski slopes. :cool: It's doubly bad in California, what with 24/7 Rennaissance Faire reencactors, Buddhist monks in saffron doing walking meditation, Wiccans looking for Herbs and finding poison oak and this guy in midlife crisis who joggs nude except for shoes ( never a mountain lion when you really need one.) I put it on today and went hiking. It's warm, silent and excellent camouflage. When I came down fom the fireroad, the owner of THE HARE AND THE HOUND brit import shop gasped "look at you know, all ship shape and Bristol fashion you are!" I received my traditional cut, 3 piece Harris Tweed suit from Scotland today in Ghilly Green. :D

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I,ll let you into a secret................its only in old films us brits dress like that!
Most british bushcrafters will be wearing lightweights with tights underneath.

:) lots of americans googling lightweights and tights now! :D

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
i kinda like BDU trouwsers and a supplex shirt a lot in warm weather. They are comfortabel and has plenty of pockets to put my things in.... Mostly green, tan and a little brown and black.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I read a articule in an walking magazine of a group doing the west highland way. One of the their party did in a tweed suite, old leather boots and flat cap.

They where not camping out as far as I can recall but he was continually wet and stayed that way. I couldn't decide weather he was brave or stupid. Either way he completed it and it have always wondered what it would be like to do a journey like that in traditional garb.

Well Chris enjoy your new suite (you are probable in the cliamate for it).

James

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I've climbed in tweeds hobnail boots and a flat cap before now it was most comfortable but I’ve never bushcrafted in them I’ll have to dig mine out and give it a try maybe I wont get looked at so funnily when I’m out and about people might think I actually own the land. :)

Chris enjoy your new tweeds they may not be worn much over here any more but it was for hundreds of years so there’s got to be something in it, I bet you look like a proper gent.:cool:

have you got a flat cap?

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Is the deerskin suitable to our wet and often cold clim? Does it fell heavy?

I ask because I have always wanted one but I've been reluctent on the grounds it would be inpractical.

James

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We'd a mature student who did an entire seasons digging wearing a tweed jacket. He was warm, mostly dry & comfortable. Surprised the H8ll out of the rest of us. He steamed in the sunshine after a shower though :D

Cheers,
Toddy

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Of course I got a flat hat to go with it. I haven't ripped off any regimental ties like Michael Jackson wearing british service medals to his trial :( Of course it has it's limits like any other clothing system. We went from near record rain up till last week to predicted temps of 90 degrees + next week. Wool has two happy qualities for Urban use too; fire resistance and getting caught in inclement weather. I failed to mention coming up on a small herd of deer on the trail. I froze, upwind. They literally walked past me. Modern clothing has so many brighteners the greater eyesight of some animals and various electronic sighting devices pick you up in the best cammie pattern.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Eric_Methven said:
..... and Danner boots.

They ARE the best, aren't they? :) I've had mine over 10 years- they don't leak, comfy as ever and they still come up like new. Only had them re soled once-there's a place in Leicster if memory serves who are the official people for it. Well worth the money..

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Deerskin clothing is VERY practical. Remember leather is nothing more than stabilised skin. Unless you make it yourself the cost can be rather dear. If you look at traditional patterns you will notice lots of fringe. Even T.R. had a very expensive shirt made during his time as a cattleman ( along with a Tiffany engraved '73 Winchester :eek: ) The fringe has the very practical application of wicking moisture of the main body.

Moine

Forager
In summer : barefeet, shorts, t-shirt, bandana. (Swannie, poncho and thinsulate stocking cap in the pack.)

In winter : fur lined mocs, army pants, polar fleece, gore-tex shell... (swannie, poncho and thinsulate cap in the pack as always...).

Cheers ;)

David

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
For me it's a choice of us army poncho for its versatile nature or my belt because it stops my trousers from falling down and that makes nearly all bushcraft possible ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE