Uk Pineapple Guava.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

grizzlyj

Nov 10, 2016
NW UK
Isle of Lewis so perhaps not unexpected :). They have a little windbreak all round them but they're still only about a foot high. No disease and I'm sure too tiny for fruit but not dead either so could be worse!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I admit I did wonder how they'd do here too in South Lanarkshire. We're sodden wet, inclined to be cold, and definitely on the overcast bit of the world.
I read/listen to gardening pundits and their hyperbolic claims with frank disbelief most of the time.

• Haha
Reactions: swyn

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I find it amazing what you can grow here. I have an Hibiscus that was never happy in the conservatory, but really took off when I moved it to the kitchen window sill.

Hmm! Doesn't want to let post me a photo.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's always a surprise what actually thrives, like the Oca that I grew here, but the too often disappointments because I read the pundits and their adverts and advice and planted hopefully, kind of leaves me a hearty sceptic these days.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Never heard of them.
My wife is the gardener so I will run this by her. Squashes, particularly buttternut do really well here along with pumpkins & beetroot and similar but not potatoes. Any potatoe that does well tastes 'orrible!
Main thing is that the chickens don't like any part of the plant......else disaster.......or copious amounts of netting.....which is a PIA to put it mildly.
Eg; Carrots need to be a foot+ off the ground to counteract carrot root fly so the carrot bed is 18" off the ground and yaaaay, we get carrots! All that kind of 'gardening'.
S

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Never heard of them.
My wife is the gardener so I will run this by her. Squashes, particularly buttternut do really well here along with pumpkins & beetroot and similar but not potatoes. Any potatoe that does well tastes 'orrible!
Main thing is that the chickens don't like any part of the plant......else disaster.......or copious amounts of netting.....which is a PIA to put it mildly.
Eg; Carrots need to be a foot+ off the ground to counteract carrot root fly so the carrot bed is 18" off the ground and yaaaay, we get carrots! All that kind of 'gardening'.
S

I didn't know that about carrots :) I knew about planting the French marigolds among them and it certainly helps, but 18" off the ground, copper foil tape around the pots, and I can even keep the blasted slugs off them :)
Cheers :thumbsup:

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I didn't know that about carrots :) I knew about planting the French marigolds among them and it certainly helps, but 18" off the ground, copper foil tape around the pots, and I can even keep the blasted slugs off them :)
Cheers :thumbsup:
Plenty of 'stealth' planting is good. Mmmmm, slugs. Not my favorite!
We used to raise Muscovy ducks and the two main duck houses sat on stands during the winter but were lowered to ground level so the ducklings could get in to mama. We don't raise any at present so one of the stands have been re-tasked for the carrot bed and the other for a seedling cloche.
23+ teenage ducklings do a lot of mischief!
S

Reactions: Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE