UK legal multitool

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cbkernow

Forager
Jun 18, 2009
cornwall
As a Scouter I find it useful to "Be Prepared" to this end I'd like to keep a multitool on my person for the myriad of jobs I find them useful for, I've got a Gerber Suspension, which despite a couple of negative reviews, I think is a brilliant tool, really nice sprung pliers, the blade takes a decent edge and it has all the bits I need.

But of course, its a locking blade so could potentially cause issues. So I don't carry it with me unless required for a specific task.
Looking at the locking mechanism, it would be the work of mere moments to prevent the blade locking on a semi permanent basis. Is this now a legal tool to carry? Or are police going to frown upon me now carrying a "modified" blade?

To avoid the issue entirely, I'd like to get a non locking blade tool and therefore seek your recomendations.

I'd like a pair of pliers (preferably sprung)
Sub 3 inch blade
screw drivers

and perhaps most importantly sub £40

Last edited by a moderator:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
There are whole forums dedicated to modifying things like SAKs and whatnot. I don't think if you modify a locking tool to prevent it from locking that it would be frowned upon, but my personal preference would be to take an unmodified tool just because I wouldn't want to damage a perfectly good locking tool. I absolutely hate folding blades that don't lock.

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I recently purchased a leatherman juice after much deliberation. Also sent it back to ask for a "better finished one" without any joy.
The problem i had was the same as yours, UK legal EDC with all the bits you need. The ONLY thing that came up was the leatherman juice range.

The price is a bit shocking for a small multi tool and the finish was shoddy to say the least. It needed a serious sharpening and oiling before i was happy with it.
The grind on the blade was all over the shop and the tools so difficult to get out they stuck in your thumb, it didnt help that the tools were roughly finished so were sharp with it, sharper than the knife come to think of it :rolleyes:

I initially sent the tool back to Heinnie who had a look through their stock to find a better finished one only to discover they were all poorly finished. In the end i just did the finishing work my self as there were just no other alternatives.

The scissors were blunt out of the box and i wouldnt recommend them for heavy use, loads better after a sharpen mind.

At the end of the day though there arent any alternatives out there so your stuck, oh and the price is as shocking as the finish!!:yikes:

PS i bought mine from the lovely folks at Heinnie, no affliliation etc.

Last edited:

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
Like Dwardo, I also have a Juice XE6 but to be honest I dont really rate it that much. Yes it has pliers which is nice but to be honest I dont find the tool that comfy when using the pliers under hard use. All the tools feel a little bit, well, compromised.

I eventually went back to my trusty SAK Explorer thats been with me for over 20 years teamed up with a small pair of pliers. Now I can get most quick jobs done without much effort.

Regards, Jon.

Jun 10, 2011
N.Ireland
I to have a Leatherman Juice(Kf4) and unlike some I find it to be an excellent tool. If however you wish to try something different why not have a look at the SOG Pocket PowerPlier. Sub 3" non locking blade and excellent fit/finish. Got mind a while ago on Amazon for £38. I change from one to the other as an EDC multitool. They are also a lot lighter than carrying one of my big Leatherman/Gerber/Victorinox multitools.

Jimmy Bojangles

Forager
Sep 10, 2011
Derbyshire
I've been having I similar debate over something that can go on my edc. What I can't decide is, are the pliers going to get that much use in the out of doors, (you may want yours for more than outdoor use) because if I could do without them the choice would be easy, a SAK Alox Farmer!

Cheers

Mat

Expat

Forager
Feb 9, 2012
Dorset for good...!!
Like GED, I have an aversion to non-locking blades, and is all that I carry as EDC...
As far as I am concerned, I have no intention of drawing attention to the fact, so there
is no other reason that I should be searched or fall foul of
"The Powers That Be"...

zed4130

Forager
Aug 4, 2011
poole
I carried a leatherman wave from 98-2011 but due to its locking blades i decided last year to buy another multitool, i went for sogs paratool as non locking blades and you can change its tools plus add more, i added the v-cutter and wood saw,altogether though with tool and parts there around £60 for the tool and £9-6 for parts on HH, i got the tool originaly on handyniknaks for £45 but they have gone back up on there, sogs pocket powerpliers is a little less though, also i guess you could put up a wanted post on here or BB,i used to collect multitools and have been a member of MTo_Org for a long time so another place to go to for multitool help, the paratool is about the 10th multi ive owned and its been my favourite so far,
P1010056-53.jpg

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
my edc m-tool, leatherman supertool 300! big, burly, and everything locks. i wouldn't take it down the pub obviously. but all the police officers i've spoken to come back with the same thing, if you're dressed and behave like a growed up, it's not an issue.

likewise i'm a scout leader. having a multitool/penknife, piece of string, lighter, safety pin, notebook and pen, about my person at all times is in the job description. and a torch, and a rudimentary first aid kit. and sewing kit......

:cool:

cheers, and.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I had a leatherman juice which unfortunately I lost some time ago and never replaced. It was a nice tool, but apart from the pliars and the file, there was nothing about it that was better than an SAK and some parts decidedly inferior such as the saw, the blades and the awl.

I have to admit that the pliars on an SAK are not the most useful tool, and it is much better if you have need of a good set of pliars to carry a good set of pliars, there is no way pliars on there own are going to be illegal unless going equipped for burglary is taken into consideration.

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
iv never worried about my edc leatherman charge ........until i worked in london and was on a bus that got pulled over , a purge on knife crime in that area resulted in so many kids using multi type tools to try and get away with the knife law, and now its just my spydie ukpn but do miss the charge still will have a look at the sog as i prob could get away with the leatherman but really dont want to break the law tbh.

Sideburnt

Apr 7, 2011
Leeds
I have one of these AM Tech multitools, the hammer and solid wrench are useful a lot more that what's missing on this tool, Especially when it comes to urban uses like bike repair.
41e91r25KTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
I do admit to carrying an oversized swiss army knife with locking blade.

I know it's not legal, but i'm making to choice to ignore the law. I'm not a criminal and I'm not going to be treated like one or feel like I am one for using a knife that saves me from harming myself by having the blade snapback on me. Yes I've had that happen before and I'd rather protect myself from harm by tool use, than subscribe to the deluded idea that I'd use the knife on anyone else. I'd hope that the police see it this way, but wouldn't bemoan the situation if the knife was taken off me in the unlikely situation of being searched.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Juice SC2 is my regular carry. I find it frustrating that it's so good to use as it gives me no excuse to buy anything else! :D I've been using it for a couple of years, at least. If I lost it today, I would buy another one today.

Nicklas Odh

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
Ed, Sweden
I know the UK "knife laws" are the harshest in Europe, but are they enforced the same all over the country? In Sweden the laws are "rubbery" to let things pass in the countryside that would not pass in the city.

Itzal

Nomad
Mar 3, 2010
N Yorks
I know the UK "knife laws" are the harshest in Europe, but are they enforced the same all over the country? In Sweden the laws are "rubbery" to let things pass in the countryside that would not pass in the city.

We are a nation that seems to be offended with any sort of weapon, so much so that we even turn our nose up at our Military carrying weapons. How very sad that the fear has be put into the public in such a manner.

Nicklas Odh

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
Ed, Sweden
About military carrying weapons: In Sweden the guard at the Royal Palace in Stockholm has marched the same route for a long time and has done the same weapons drills as well. Back in 2000 we had three different positions to change between during the march so not to get too tired. The weapons resting on the left shoulder, upright on the right side or held diagonally across the chest, almost like the french do. The last position was considered too "aggressive" and therefore not politically correct and taken away. So even the armed forces can be too armed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE