uk bushcraft forums, magazines etc

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
Apart from BCUK are there any other bushcraft or survival forums or magazines run in the uk?

I know about the combat survival thing but is there anything else for the JoePublic?

Chris :wave:

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
Thanks Andy

Seems a good informative site, but very american - is it U.S or U.K ?, looks good though.

Are there no magazines or monthlys out there for us brits, I'm getting tired of reading the same old books.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Are there no magazines or monthlys out there for us brits
Nope :-( .... only combat an survival you have already mentioned.... There are quite a few general magazines for the outdoor enthusiast, but nothing bushcraft related.

Ed

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
chris said:
Thanks Andy

Seems a good informative site, but very american - is it U.S or U.K ?, looks good though.

Are there no magazines or monthlys out there for us brits, I'm getting tired of reading the same old books.

I think it's a Canadian site.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Adi007 said:
Dunno, but it's very 'survival' related! In comparison to BCUK which is a 'bushcraft' site. Most of us in here has agreed that bushcraft is different from survival, and those threads are fairly easy to find here! :D :wink:

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
A truly excellent magazine on all aspects of wildlife is British wildlife

I have been subscribing for years, ok so not bushcraft but is has lots of relevant info about plants etc.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Adi007 said:
TheViking said:
Dunno, but it's very 'survival' related! In comparison to BCUK which is a 'bushcraft' site. Most of us in here has agreed that bushcraft is different from survival, and those threads are fairly easy to find here!
Outdoor-Magazine.com is a 'very' good bushcraft site IMHO although it does not use that word a lot :wink:

It is not Canadian but more International, run my a French guy called Jean-Marc (JM)who is from Nice and has been running for nearly a year. Before that I believe he ran another similar site.

The site is in fact in two parts.

The first is Outdoor-Magazine.com

This is dedicated to reviews and articles, like a magazine. From the site:

An international free online magazine dedicated to life in the great outdoors, related tools, knowledge, knowledge, sports, wilderness survival, camping, primitive knowledge, hiking, trekking, mountaineering, knives, axes, security, tests, comparatives, articles, forums.....
There is lots of interesting stuff and nice reviews from a non-commercial viewpoint by people who actually use the gear. The easiest way to check out the type of stuff is take a look at the Contents section and select any articles you find interesting:

Outdoor Magazine Contents

There is survival stuff but lots more besides. From a comprehensive Kelly Kettle Review to an article on Gransfors Bruks Axes: Tools for the Outdoorsman to one of the best articles I have read on survival kit/s by Neil Andrews from the UK All Kitted Out and more....

The second part is the Outdoor Magazine - International wilderness discussion forums

This is where people from all over the place discuss things in the magazine but much more too. Many of the forums/ sub-forums are similar to those here.

It does have a lot of American members but also people from all over Europe including the UK. I like it for that mix of cultures and ideas and the serious work that goes into the articles etc.

I really love visiting BushcraftUK :eek:): a lot but also like other places to check out too and that is one of the better ones. I don't see any site being necessarily better than another but more as complementary to each other. And I appreciate the variety.

Well worth checking out chris. :biggthump

Vive La Difference! :super:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
JM’s site is well worth visiting. He’s a great guy and very helpful. I think you’ll find that many of the members here do go there quite often, some of them moderate over there.

It’s a top notch site
:biggthump

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I am a member too and eagerly awaiting my OMF knife to prove the fact! We could learn something from the reviews side of the site but the forum has quite a lot fewer members than bcuk. I check there often and as Stew says it gives a good balance.

Bill

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
tenbears10 said:
... eagerly awaiting my OMF knife to prove the fact!

Don't! I thought that production was going to be October but I saw Mike mention on Knifeforums that it will be November. I'm really looking forward to getting hold of mine and now it's an extra month. Not that I'm going to complain though as Mike is doing a great deal. I'm just impatient, especially as one of my blades is getting a special treatment!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE