UCO Micro Lantern Cocoon?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FlashPan

Forager
Sep 7, 2015
Norf London
Hello all,

I've got 3 of these (why do I always buys in 3s!) and I'm looking for a cocoon.

The price I am seeing on the interweb of £10-ish just seems too much.

Anyone know of a cheaper supplier or an alternative product? I have looked (and bought some) camera lense pouches from ebay for a couple of quid but the dims are normally way off or the material is so thin it would not help much.

Thanks and cheers

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Cheap wetsuit that the kids have outgrown.....about 7 quid new these days in Home Bargains....I paid £140 for them when my sons were little, it was a total eye opener for me.

However, the sleeves are tubular and you can cut out and stitch on a couple of circles for the base, and a big bag clip or a decent elastic band (or if you have a daughter nick one of her hair bobbles :) ) and that'll close it neatly.

Kids have fun playing in the water and Dad gets a neoprene resource to use when they're done with it.

On t'other hand I made mine from one of the pound store rollmats. Cheap as chips and as thin as those skinny American 'fries', but it makes a good padded layer on things :)

M

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Was going to suggest think foam can cooler/koozie... but seem impossible get over here just the flimsy folding neoprene ones.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I suppose old mouse mats, sleep mats, yoga mats will help too. Though knitting one sounds like it should be the thing to do:)

Are the lanterns good? I mean I see and hear about them and they are very gettable here. Usually I just hang my head light or torch up or a little fauxton

Last edited:

FlashPan

Forager
Sep 7, 2015
Norf London
Thanks for the tips guys, my sewing skill leave much to be desired. :blackeye:

I do have a torch as well but as the candles can last 4 hours each and I like to have both with me. One a backup for the other. I have seen mentioned as well that the uco can give off some good heat well in a small tent.

Did also think of the can cooler thingy as well, only ones I found are quite thin as well. Maybe using 2 or 3 coolers stuffed into each other may do the trick though?

Cheers

Reactions: Billy-o

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I have two of the mini Uco lanterns and happily they both fit nicely in a normal sized cocoon. Can't remember where on eBay I bought the normal cocoon but it wasn't as much as £10. Hope this helps.

FlashPan

Forager
Sep 7, 2015
Norf London
Well I feel rather foolish! I actually resolved this a few months ago by buying these. I left them in my office an forgot all about them until they were rediscovered today.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Neopr...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

One fits inside the other and rather a good fit micro UCO (not hard to get in and out). You can poke the wire holder in its folded position through the hold at the top (or bottom in this case). I would say the neoprene thickness is about 2-3mm for each case.

Cheers

Reactions: Billy-o

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I used to use socks as protection for fragile stuff.
Clean ones in the beginning of the trip, dirty ones at the end.
Worked well.

A tea light needs no protection. Why put it in a fragile and bulky lantern?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Because it works better than an exposed tea light.
It's a really neat wee lantern. I have some of the cheapo knock off brass ones too, and they're a very appealling thing lit up and hanging under a tarp or chute. It's all very well to say just use the solar lights, but there's not enough light in winter to power those, and when it's perishing cold batteries aren't brilliant either.
At least with the Uco lanterns there's no liquid fuel needed and the glass and shield shelters them from most of the wind, and the rain.

shindig

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2013
Scotland
I use an old lense pouch I got free with a magazine years ago. I keep the lantern, two candles and a hanger made from tent peg all in the pouch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE