TV Arial acting as impromptu hose!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Summats not right.

Freeview box went off a wee while ago so I pulled the TV out from the corner to check the connections etc.

It was then I noticed a dried "tide mark" on the back of the TV, threading it's way floor ward from the arial socket.

Upon pulling the arial out my hand was covered in water!!!

This must have been going on for a while judging by the mark left.

Luckily my TV etc is always switched off at the wall when not in use but it still leaves me uneasy - TV, electrickery and water don't mix well I beleive. Once I get a new arial sorted out the TV won't be sitting near the curtains either.

Well, no TV for a few days, will have to go to the pub now to see Germany v England game.

I think I just had a lucky escape...

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
It could have been nasty Rich.

Serves me right for just dusting the big screen part of it and not all of the telly...

I might have noticed it a lot sooner. :D

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Ariel coax is well know for tracking water down it.

It can either be down the centre of the coax or drip down the outside and through the wall.

If you are getting someone out to look at it then make sure there is a "U" shape in the coax before it enters the wall then the water runs off the bottom before it goes through the wall.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Ariel coax is well know for tracking water down it.

It can either be down the centre of the coax or drip down the outside and through the wall.

If you are getting someone out to look at it then make sure there is a "U" shape in the coax before it enters the wall then the water runs off the bottom before it goes through the wall.

I never knew it was known for doing this!!!

The water is running down the inside of the co axial cable.

I should have realised sooner as in rainy/damp weather the freeview picture resembles a game of Tetris.

Thanks for the tip Ark.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Cables like to breath moisture too. Any moisture will reduce the performance of the cable, sometimes seriously as you've noticed, and eventually will probably damage it. If you can, it's best to seal the cable at both ends with something like self-amalgamating tape. If your TV signal is weak it might be worth paying a little extra for good quality cable, there can be big differences between them. You're looking for a figure expressed in "dB per metre" -- the lower the better, but be aware that the seller should say what frequency the quoted figure is for, as it changes drastically with frequency. Something in the region of 0.15 to 0.2 dB per metre at 1GHz (1000MHz) is probably reasonable. The same figure could be quoted as 15 to 20 dB per 100 metres. Low loss cables tend to have larger diameters and larger minimum bending radii, so be careful that what you get will fit in your situation. Coaxial cables for TV use generally have a "characteristic impedance" of 75 ohms. You probably don't care what that means, but don't get something different like 50 ohms or 100 ohms unless you really know what you're doing. Lower impedance is not better. Waterproof cables exist but they can be very expensive, probably not worth it for TV use. If you're bored and/or can't get to sleep without the TV, read these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial_cable
http://www.epanorama.net/links/wire_general.html

An alternative to a possibly expensive cable might be to place an amplifier near the aerial (a "mast head amplifier") which for boring engineering reasons is a lot better than putting one near the TV set. It might be able to drive an acceptable signal through a much longer or poorer quality cable.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I had exactly the same problem about five years ago. It actually went into the DVD player first and one day it went BANG. When we pulled out the unit and cables, the water had dribbled down the cable right into the unit. Very dodgy.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Water usually gets into the cable where it's joined to the aerial - sort that joint and you will be fine.

Failing that, you could relcate the aerial inside your loft.

Had the same earlier in the year, it was down to the aerial cable being old and the outer insulation was cracked. New aerial and coax fitted for £40.

It is an old cable to be honest.

Cables like to breath moisture too. Any moisture will reduce the performance of the cable, sometimes seriously as you've noticed, and eventually will probably damage it. If you can, it's best to seal the cable at both ends with something like self-amalgamating tape. If your TV signal is weak it might be worth paying a little extra for good quality cable, there can be big differences between them. --SNIP--

An alternative to a possibly expensive cable might be to place an amplifier near the aerial (a "mast head amplifier") which for boring engineering reasons is a lot better than putting one near the TV set. It might be able to drive an acceptable signal through a much longer or poorer quality cable.

As we've had very little rain this summer I'd considered that the water had pooled in the cable or that it was condensation generated by the heat of the set itself.

I had exactly the same problem about five years ago. It actually went into the DVD player first and one day it went BANG. When we pulled out the unit and cables, the water had dribbled down the cable right into the unit. Very dodgy.

My co ax goes into the Freeview box atop the TV, thankfully I was too lazy to place it underneath the stand where the DVD and Video live!!

What film was in the DVD JD? The Fog?, Oceans Eleven?, Jaques Cousteau? :D

Thanks for all the advice I've received. It's very kind and reassuring of you all.

Liam

D

Deleted member 7976

Well, no TV for a few days, will have to go to the pub now to see Germany v England game.

I think I just had a lucky escape...

If it caused you to miss the match you did indeed have a lucky escape :(

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
If it caused you to miss the match you did indeed have a lucky escape :(

Damned straight, I'll never get those 90 minutes back, or erase the awful memory burned into my mind and retinas. Still, Liam is the other side of the wall and probably enjoyed every minute :lmao:

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Damned straight, I'll never get those 90 minutes back, or erase the awful memory burned into my mind and retinas. Still, Liam is the other side of the wall and probably enjoyed every minute :lmao:

I enjoyed every minute mate. ;)

Except (and this may surprise you) when that goal was chalked off.

As I said to the unfortunate family from Cambridge who were sitting amidst a sea of Jocks; Aye, I want to see your team get pumped, but I'd like it to be a fair pumping.

It's only a game anyway... one that neither of our national teams can seem to play on the international stage.

Maybe it's time to remind them, they're not playing on stage - that green stuff is called grass.

Liam

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Don't joke about that.......one of my neighbours hadn't heard from his diabetic brother for a week, he finally broke open the door.
It wasn't nice, and the dogs had to be put down. He still won't have a dog in the house.

Seriously, it's a good heads up for a lot of us, I never gave the co-ax cable a thought.

cheers,
Mary

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE