Tutorial: How Make a Feather Stick Flower (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I sat in the park last weekend, reading a book and minding a sleeping baby James. I saw some sticks laying around the bench on which I was sitting, and got to thinking.

I picked up a stick, pulled out my Swiss army knife, and carefully and slowly carved down the diameter of the stick.

At the end of each knife draw, I tilted the blade slowly out about 90 degrees to open up the feather.

I carved feathers over and over again, until most of the stick had been transformed into thin slices, and soon I was almost done with carving a feather stick. I cut off the bottom (which was pencil-lead thin by this time) and trimmed off the top.

Looking around for something to dye the flower with, I saw some American Winterberry (Ilex verticillata). I grabbed a branch full of them, cut a pop can open and mushed it all up.

Then I coated the flower in the berry juices, and carved a flower stem out of a piece of beech.

I dyed that green by rubbing some dill leaves over it.

I pieced the two together with a hole and sharp tail, and voila! Une fleur.

I gave it to Spring. She has it in her office.

Mungo

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Our ancestors have been making these for as long as there have been sharp blades. They are also known as Gypsy flowers. Travelling gypsies used to make them and sell them door to door along with clothes pegs.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE