Turkey Tail Mushroom

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scottpix

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
edinburgh
Not sure if this has been posted before but found this very interesting youtube video on Turkey tail mushrooms.
Amazing if true.

Scott

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Research show it has no effect.
Supposed to be ‘anti carcinogenic’, but that is a hugely controversial statement, as preventing the formation of cancers can not be proven without ( basically) a life long research and follow up of a large number of people.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Galileo is quoted as having said: "Never refuse and old wine or a new idea."

While old remedies are usually discounted, it's done with modern but badly flawed research.
At the same time, gross and flagrant claims need to be tempered.

Recall that almost every modern antibiotic is, in fact, derived from one fungus or another.
Big Pharma would like nothing better than to patent another natural product.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
It is virtually impossible for even the major companies to dedicate the time and money on research spanning maybe 80 years.

Much easier to find cures of existing diseases than finding cures that will prevent a disease.

I do not know the % of medication that is derived from nature, but it is huge. Plus we have many meds where the agent started as a natural compound, but was ‘adjusted’ to perform better.

We can of course prevent many illnesses or diseases, by giving a compound the organism lacks ( Vit C, Iron plus others) or giving an agent where the disease causing agent ( virus, think HIV, or a parasite, think Plasmodium) is braked or stopped from multiplying or even surviving in our body.

That little fungi is very beautiful, specially early in the morning when it is covered by droplets of water.

We used to collect, dry, then coat in a varnish and make ornamental stuff in secondary school.

scottpix

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
edinburgh
Its a very interesting subject, I know very little about fungi but do enjoy eating them, and must admit they are mysterious, I think we still have lot to learn from them, thanks for your informative input peeps.
Scott

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Please note that I am not writing it is not working. As there has not been a multitude of studies done ( done to an accepted scientific quality) we must be careful.

Plants and fungi ( plus many animalia) contain powerful pharmacological agents. New ones are discovered all the time.

The dangers in taking untested medications are many.
Contain toxins? Interact between each other with negative result?
Interact with pharmacological medication?
Effect on the foetuses? Transmits through the breast milk?

Many more aspects to be considered!

Just two wellknown examples.
Grapefruit interacts with several pharma medicines.
St Johns wort ( Hypericum perforatum) too.
Both interacting negatively.

We must be careful of damaging ourself in our quest for health!

One negative with funghi not many foragers think about is that they can concentrate stuff like heavy metals, including radioactive isotopes.

One aspect with herbal medicines that I find very appealing is that most traditional herbals are very mild.
Yes, you can take a prescription sleeping pill. You can also take an infusion of herbs, and have ( basically) the same effect, without the negatives.

Hypericum: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC187443

Grapefruit:
https://www.drugs.com/article/grapefruit-drug-interactions.html

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Something in grapefruit enhances the uptake of statin medications.
Since then, some other citrus (eg Seville oranges/marmalade) have been implicated.
Limes, lime juice and lime marmalade are OK (so far).
Echinacea interferes with some surgical anaesthetics.

It's time, manpower and money all over again. Old botanicals are being re-evaluated with considerable success.
Pharmacognosy was the glamor-child of the late 1960's = trying to find the active tissue in the plants.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
So far, the only botanical approved ( or ‘tolerated’?) by FDA in the US, and given an aura of a pharmaceutical, without ANY research, into side effects, interactions, toxicity, is weed.
I prefer a nice espresso. With a few drops of Oats milk ( no added sugars)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The Cannabis industry in Canada is a great source of humor.
Big properties, huge greenhouses and those companies are dying.
Either that or they are propped up by value-added shareholders with little concern for sales and supply shortages.
The high prices are always undercut by the country grow-ops as was always the supply.

Legal and otherwise, the most valuable things on earth come from plants. Meat is meat.
Might as well get into a legal plant business. I know people growing summer herb crops.
They harvest with haying and silage equipment. Little places use a clean lawn mower.

Reactions: Janne

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE