turkey eggs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
Someone at work today asked why is it the big supermarkets dont sell turkey eggs I dont know why does anyone on here know why this is ( Ive eaten turkey eggs couldnt tell the difference with hens eggs )

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Don't know - Duck eggs are pretty hard to find in supermarkets (another reason not to shop in them). Duck eggs are MUCH nicer in my view - rarely eat hens eggs these days

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No - neighbours keep ducks though and a number of the local stores sell them. We do have chickens on the farm which are good for baking and so forth. I must confess to never having eaten a turkey egg....goose eggs are nice though so I can't see why they wouldn't be good:confused:

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
I found Turkey eggs to be very rich and strong tasting, I got my hands on a good few last year but could hardly eat them after a few days, they ended up almost the size of Ostrich eggs and impossible to eat.:)

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
one of 2 things the public is squeamish and it may not be cost effective feed/care to $ per egg

turkeys only lay about 100 eggs a year, a young hen can lay up to 300. therefore you'd have to pay about £6, £7 or even £8 for a half dozen. That would be for a commercial business anyway. I'm sure its possible to get them cheaper if a turkey farmer happens to have some spare.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ive got duck eggs from Morrisons. (much better than chickens or any other bird)

Goose eggs are pricey

Turkey eggs are musky tasting

youll have to find a farm store or a trad butchers.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I stand corrected :) Nice to hear that - cheers

However given that Tescos is the seventh circle of Hades I'll carry on driving by the "log man" (who splits logs with a sawn down 5lb felling axe...one handed.....bare chested....showing the scars of his triple bypass...and makes me feel weak..even though he is 70 odd) to the "super stall" which is a sort of roadside shack selling loads of local produce....and fudge....oh god the fudge......then back via the vinyard and the micro brewery.........

Man I love living here :D I must take my camera one day and show the local characters

Red

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
then back via the vinyard and the micro brewery.........

Man I love living here :D I must take my camera one day and show the local characters

Red

In the most polite manner "Git" the only local character round my way is the plastic postman pat at tesco's and as for brewery grrrr i had to explain to some neds that beer is not an alcopop without colouring ( i wish i was joking)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
third best???

The third best pub in Britain

409328479_b21deb9a69.jpg

One of the few pubs where you can have a pint and shoot a longbow at the same time :)

A few miles over the fields from me - and if I'm very lucky I can bump into Bushwacker Bob and a few other local bushcrafters in the stable bar whilst I'm there, The sort of pub where you aren't allowed in without boots and a lurcher

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
All the beer is served from the wood - not on pump but from tapped kegs. Oh and Tengu - at least three real ciders at any time

Red :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE