'Tuktu' Inuit films

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Time well wasted to watch a few of those. The spring ice does a lot of damage to the ancient fishing weirs.
The weirs are still there. I know for a fact that I cold not stand in 4C water, spearing fish all day with the bugs.
Nice to watch an Inuit fire drill in action. Wood of any kind was a prized possession.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Nice to watch an Inuit fire drill in action. Wood of any kind was a prized possession.

I noticed that particularly from the kayak video, what a great boat it was. Lead me on to Greenland kayak too, they look amazing.

I wonder if the kayak was created before shipwreck drift wood was available?

Fascinated by the thonging created from the whole seal skins, what a great resource.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Coast line erosion (water and ice) with ocean currents have been delivering drift wood for eons.
The slim tree trunks used for the shafts of the fishing spears for example.
I'd guess that they have been handed down for many generations.
Much use is made of whale bone skeletal remains where us "southeners" would substitute a piece of wood.

Google UBC/MOA. This is the University of British Columbia Museum Of Anthropology.
There is an ever-growing online catalog of artifacts that you can sort by subject terminology.

I intend to use it again this winter to look at designs for a new snow knife.
I have a crazy-a$$ idea that I can straighten a bison rib with steam.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Coast line erosion (water and ice) with ocean currents have been delivering drift wood for eons.
The slim tree trunks used for the shafts of the fishing spears for example.
I'd guess that they have been handed down for many generations.
Much use is made of whale bone skeletal remains where us "southeners" would substitute a piece of wood.

Google UBC/MOA. This is the University of British Columbia Museum Of Anthropology.
There is an ever-growing online catalog of artifacts that you can sort by subject terminology.

I intend to use it again this winter to look at designs for a new snow knife.
I have a crazy-a$$ idea that I can straighten a bison rib with steam.

Just had a quick look on there website now, had a browse at the Inuit stuff, amazing. Gonna have to spend some time on there, what a resource

Reactions: JFW

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Nice :)

Whole channel of it here .... the Isuma bunch made filsm in the 90s but were also asked to represent Canada at Venice a couple of years ago.

Also ... find the Robert Flaherty film ... much scolded in academe, but I could watch it all week :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
From a distance, the Inuit collection has many things.
Apparently, the Smithsonian Institute has a HUGE online data base to search.

Plan on no more than two subjects to study if you can ever go to the MOA. Plan for 2 days.
Good food in their little caf and good parking just across the street.
Less than 1/2 of the holdings are on display. 2/3 of those are in the drawers under the showcases.
That's where I learned how to carve, shape and haft the blades for crooked knives.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE