Trying to gorw a living fence (willow)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What?

Mar 19, 2015
Hamptonshire
Hello good people, today i took some cuttings from a willow tree (not weeping) and cut them just beneath a bud then stuck them in the ground about 6 inches apart with the hope they will take, each cutting is about 2-3 feet long and had young leafs - I stripped the lower half of leafs, I also gave them plenty of water. This is a first for me and I'm not entirely sure I have done it right. Anyone here more knowledgeable or experienced with this kind of thing? I'm after tips n stuff to make this a success, they are on the front end of my allotment where everyone can see them, this could get a bit embarrassing if they all die :rolleyes:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well, I've planted a few hedges of them.

I think your cuttings are too long. At this stage there isn't sufficient root to support that much length unless your ground is absolutely sodden wet.

What will work, is to pull those cuttings back out and put them into a bucket of water. They'll all root quite happily in that, then cut a slit trench, saturate it and set the cuttings out in that and press the soil back agin them with your foot. If it's sunny and dry they will need water for this year. After thatn they'll happily root out all the water they can blooming well find.

I may be mistaken, and your wands will take, but if it were me, I'd give them a better start.

It's worth noting that they can be laid length wise in the soil with just a the leaves coming up through; that will give a long length of plant to start making roots and all those shoots will become stems in their time. It's a good way of getting as much moisture contact as possible to the plants when they have no roots but you need them in situ. Usually done in Autumn or very early Spring though before they really bud into leaf.

Best of luck with it :)

Toddy

Last edited:

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I have planted about 20 random bits of willow this year, plus whatever I used for making a willow dome for kids to play in. The random stuff was all off cuts so I had some more to grow on for cutting later.

I've had new growth ff most already - some is just 10cm lengths about finger thick. I seem to recall reading that you're best off planting before any new growth starts but I could be wrong.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
Leave in what you have planted, water well and often. Plant up any that may die next fall. They are surprisingly hardy. But a dry summer will Finnish most of them off. Ideally you would want the roots to get established well before leaves start to draw up water for evaporation.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Leave in what you have planted, water well and often. Plant up any that may die next fall. They are surprisingly hardy. But a dry summer will Finnish most of them off. Ideally you would want the roots to get established well before leaves start to draw up water for evaporation.

If you stick enough of them in, some of them will take, willow is prolific, where willow touches ground it will grow roots.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
If you stick enough of them in, some of them will take, willow is prolific, where willow touches ground it will grow roots.
Very true. I put a test bed in 3 years ago on some very wet ground in the fens. Willow rods that didn't get used for wreath making one Christmas. I got about 97% strike but it was quite a wet year. The ground is quite dry in most parts of Britain already due to lack of rain. I have been making green willow sculptures for over ten years. The best advice is to water often.

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
To all that's been said I'd add it depends on sun too. Now that I have some experience I'd say that if you plant them in a shady place with plenty of water they will root even 3 feet high. If I'd plant them in the sun I'd stick them 8-10 inch in the ground and then 5 inch over the ground, 2 or 3 buds in the sun are plentifull. This way they will not dry out during hot days. If you have time to weed them from time to time and water, they will surely stick the way you have planted. But just to be more sure about it I'd cut the shoots in half and plant twice as many!!!!

What?

Mar 19, 2015
Hamptonshire
Wow, so much good info, thank you to all. I will leave them in for now as I'm down there everyday giving them plenty of water, the leafs I left on are not wilting yet but I will strip all but one leaf on each.
I'll get some more cuttings today and try out different sizes and the suggestions here, it's fun to experiment. I'll mulch some as well to see how that works out, nearly everything else is mulched with straw/hay or wood chip on my plot and seems to be doing ok.
I'll post a pic or two at the end of summer :)
Thanks again

What?

Mar 19, 2015
Hamptonshire
Why strip the leaves? Cut them short, water well & they'll soon shoot up
Hi spandit I leave a couple as they tell me if I am watering them enough or not but they're more of a reminder to water them to be honest, being on an allotment I spend about 80% of my time talking to other plot holders, today for example, I arrived at the allotment nice and early to crack on with a few jobs but it took me an hour and half before I reached my plot. If I see anything wilting then they get priority :)

Buntybunny

Nov 24, 2008
Suffolk
How about using a length of hose pipe to water the plants, along the lines of a piece of hose down the side of a newly planted rose bush?

Take a length of hose with holes every few inches - what ever you think suits, place it along the bottom of the trench before planting. Some sheep fleece along the trench helps soil keep moist longer too. Hose in trench can have an attachment on the end so that it can be attached to a hose going to the tap. Turn on tap gently, just trickle water along hose, to water all plants saves using the watering can. Pull up a chair and open a can so that you can wait for plants to water and not forget you left the water running!!!!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's unlikely that you are; simply that the soil/moisture/situation doesn't suit some of your plantings as well as it does others.

Thing is though, once willow gets going, it actively roots for water, it doesn't just grow a bit of root and sit there waiting for rain. It'll happily fill a drain given a chance. So, those not quite so successful cuttings might yet come up to scratch once they find enough water :)

M

I will try and get some pic. up.
I think you are right about the water, after a couple of weeks of sunshine and heavy rain, they are starting to grow...
Had a good look at them last night.
Seeing that I planted them all at the same time, some are now 8 feet high while others are only 1 to 2 feet high.
Now I have a problem with the deer eating my young trees...

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Now you have to get some repellent. :) on youtube Sepp Holzer explain how to make some from bone. Called "bone salve" check it if you up to making some by yourself.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE