Trout Fishing Advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
I've recently started to learn to fish but so far have only experienced feeder fishing for roach and perch. I've got a great opportunity to have a go at brown trout fishing in the Scottish Lochs next week and was wondering if anyone had some advise. I know where to get the relative permits for the areas I'll be in but I've only got a coarse rod and I've read somewhere that only fly fishing is allowed in some lochs.

Any info on how to have a go with a coarse rod would be much appreciated
Cheers! :-D

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Get down to your local trout farm and pick the brains of anyone you can find, most are only too happy to pass on thier knowledge.

Then practice, you really don't want to be knitting in the middle of a river :oops: I've tried it and it's no fun...

I've found that pretty much any small black fly works very well but that may just be the time of year I was fishing at.

Enjoy it :lol:

Cheers

Mark

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Yeah, a LOT of trout lochs are fly only, others allow spinning, but places that allow bait are probably rarer still. You can fish a fly with a coarse rod, but it isn't easy, and you may have to explain yourself to the bailiff.

The only way to throw a fly is to put weight with it. Either "lead" or a water filled casting container (can't remember the name, clear plastic, designed to at casting weight, but not drag the fly/bait to the bottom too fast.

You could add a small piece of foam to the end of your line, a big split shot further up the line, and tie a fly to a dropper length, 4-6 inches, somewhere between the two. The lead lets you cast, and the float would keep the fly from sinking too fast.

Best of luck!!

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
Thanks guys. Gonna contact the place where you get the permits and check the rules with them.

Think I'll need a good dose of luck as I'm a complete novice! I'll let you know if I get a lucky and have a trout supper!

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
The only way to throw a fly is to put weight with it. Either "lead" or a water filled casting container (can't remember the name, clear plastic, designed to at casting weight, but not drag the fly/bait to the bottom too fast.

You are talking about the "fly and bubble" method. The clear bubble float is tyed at the end of the line and the team of flies are back from it on droppers. This can be used on river or loch and can be quite effective when the trout are rising, but only really works when there is a ripple on the water. The flies can be cast over a rising fish or allowed to drift. This is generally not considered to be fly fishing though, so will probably not be considered legal on a fly only water.

To be honest, I think it is still a bit early in the year to have much success on the fly yet anyway. You can always take the last resort though, the "garden fly" more commonly known as the, shhhh, WORM!

stuarty

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
In fact, I think you would probably be better off spinning with a wee mepp or devon minnow. If using a devon be sure to use an anti kink vane, otherwise you will end up with a birds nest.

One of the most effective methods of catching trout is with a natural minnow, but again it is a bit early in the year to get minnows for bait.

stuarty

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
Thanks Stuartyr, I'll try it with the devon minnow and might risk it with a worm as Im gonna be in a fairly secluded spot on the south side of loch ard. I've tried to find out the rules for loch ard and so far have found nothing about it being fly only or boat fishing only (alot of them seem to stipulate this). Its billed as 'wild brown trout', does this mean its not stocked?

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
Larry, I think strictly speaking loch ard is fly only from the boat, could be wrong though, but I dont see you having any problem doing a bit of spinning or using a worm in a quiet spot. As far as I know the loch has never been stocked and all the brownies are wild.

It used to be if you stayed in the Altskeith Hotel on the shore of the loch you had permission to fish and use of their boat.

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
Loch Ard, Wild Brown Trout March - October £2.50, Altskeith Hotel Loch Ard Road Aberfoyle Tel : 01877 387 266, Boat available.

why not give them a phone and they will tell you the rules

hope that helps

stuarty

Ive just reread the original post and have realised you are probably away by now!

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
FWIW I have found the wee black mepps with yellow spots to be absolutely deadly onl loch brownies.

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
Had a great trip...no trout unfortunately despite using your advise guys. :cry: Price is up to a £5 for both trout permits and pike permits, available from the watersports shack. The loch is now stocked and I was told they are having great difficulty with the large numbers of pike munching the newly stocked trout, so thats my excuse sorted anyway :wink:

W

WaYnE_FrOm_WiGaN

iv'e been to alot of locks in scotland and found that a good way to catch the trout is with a swim freeder full of maggots and a big worm on the hook. works wonders i caught alot of small trount with this method n they wer delicious.. :-D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE