Trip to Finland - shall we try and plan it

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
After reading Nonsuch's excellent trip report from Finland a few of us fancy visiting at some point, how about trying to cost it up and see how what the damage is.

I found this apartment we can rent out for 100 euros a night, sleeps 8-10 if you don't mind sharing :)

http://www.outinranta.com/index3.html

Flights from Leeds to Helsinki in February look to be about £300 for a 10 day return

Linky

Hendrik Morkel does some good stuff in Finland, he might be a useful guy to meet or help with the planning ..

http://www.hikinginfinland.com/

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
Had a great time in June solo trekking in southern Finland. everything was very easy to sort out overthere and there are some excellent outdoor websites. Check out outdoors.fi

Will try to have a look for the others bits i used when get time or connection (currently sitting in Brisbane waiting to fly to PNG with work)

Do it Rich you won't regret it

PS I'm sure i chucked up some thread or other but not sure what info there is in their but have a look.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Good post Rich. I'm thinking about Finland for spring 2012.

Ryanair can be the cheapest option. They fly to Tampere from Edinburgh and Stansted.

The very cheapest way to do it would be Ryanir to Tampere, and then make use of the excellent free shelters in a nearby national park like Seitseminen (proably doable for £100-£150 all inclusive). However, as you have pointed out, renting self catering accommodation that sleeps ten or so also works out very cheap.

The Europe meetup threads tend to get buried and I know from previous experience that organising a 'when/where shall we do this' meetup is a nightmare as everyone has different availabilities and agendas. However, if you propose a trip with fixed dates and locations, people tend to sign up.

Money is tight for everyone and a key factor is making it affordable.

If at all possible, getting Martti and other Finns on board would likely enhance the trip hugely.

Feel free to PM me about this if you want. I do think that a trip to Finland with 8-12 BCUKers would be a fantastic experience.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
When were you thinking of doing this trip? Is it too late this year or were you thinking of the Spring?

Have always wanted to go to Finland & a BCUK trip sounds ideal.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Im lucky as ive been to Finland quite a few times, love the place, Ive a couple of good mates in Finland, one right up north and one down in Helsinki, they might be willing to help out if you get stuck

deepforest2501

Tenderfoot
Oct 10, 2007
Northern Ireland
Ok, I'm thinking seriously now about a trip over. Probably April 1st to 6th or around abouts. Probably goin solo but if anyone else is off let me now. Doing the research now.

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
hmmm, im free that week, but it seem a bit short to go. im tempted to go the week before that aswell need to think about it though

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE