Trimming and stitching leather

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
But, of course, there is plenty of things you can do with an old sofa...

Perhaps the OP will take up leathercraft now?
I’d love to be better at it. I’ve made a few repairs and replaced stitching on dog leads and bags but that’s about it.

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
@ Broch , I would not use an awl on soft leather either, I was answering the post that said use a fork .
Beside being a sailmaker I also am a saddler.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thats very neat stitching...By both of you.

Im glad to encourage someone new to trying it. Taking up new crafts can be a bit daunting, particularly if its made to look too easy by an expert whos forgotten they ever were not...or the joyful `anyone can do this!` talk...

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Thank you, the advice and encouragement on here is very helpful and certainly gave me a lot of confidence.

It helped that the gloves weren’t being used previously so if I made a complete mess I could salvage the leather and it wasn’t a loss.
Paid for leather? That would be a whole new chapter.

Reactions: MrEd

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
What needle did you use?

Ive been making pouches of late; But pretty much all my kit is elsewhere.

I found an awl in my box, and some bits of leather. Had to do the drawstring holes with a knife; very tiresome.

The needle I used was a tapestry needle. Not ideal as they have a big eye to break; but the point is blunt, like a saddlers needle.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Tried first with a thin sharp needle, which snapped!
In the end I used a needle with a slight triangular profile, it came in a set from Woolworths with curved needles, blunt needle etc.
I marked with a quick unpick I had.

Probably the wrong kit but needs must. I need to invest in some quality needles.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Tried first with a thin sharp needle, which snapped!
In the end I used a needle with a slight triangular profile, it came in a set from Woolworths with curved needles, blunt needle etc.
I marked with a quick unpick I had.

Probably the wrong kit but needs must. I need to invest in some quality needles.

They are surprisingly cheap - I'd download their charts that explain sizing first; it can be a bit confusing :)

Reactions: Wildgoose

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Looking at the leather needles they have a triangular point, which seems to be what I used, albeit unknowingly
Definitely going to be putting an order in

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Looking at the leather needles they have a triangular point, which seems to be what I used, albeit unknowingly
Definitely going to be putting an order in

There's a distinct difference between saddlers' needles and glover's needles - saddlers have blunt ends so that they don't split the thread as they go back through when doing saddle stitch - consequently you have to make a hole first either with an awl or stitching irons; as mentioned before, glover's needles are sharp so straight through the soft leather without punching first. If you're going to do any veg tanned leather work (1.5mm to 3mm thick for example) you'll need some saddlers' needles and a way of punching through.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE