Triangia stove help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nipper

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Hi Folks

I have recently aquired a Triangia stove but I am having trouble getting it lit.

I filled the stove approximatly half full with meths and put a match to it, but all that happens is the middle part catches light and not the burner around the edge.

Am I doing anything wrong? or do any other members have any experience lighting and cooking on this type of stove?

Cheers
Nick

jamesraykenney

Forager
Aug 16, 2004
Beaumont, TX
nipper said:
Hi Folks

I have recently aquired a Triangia stove but I am having trouble getting it lit.

I filled the stove approximatly half full with meths and put a match to it, but all that happens is the middle part catches light and not the burner around the edge.

Am I doing anything wrong? or do any other members have any experience lighting and cooking on this type of stove?

Cheers
Nick

You do know you have to wait a minute or so for the burner holes to catch...

nipper

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 18, 2004
Wiltshire
innocent bystander said:
Out of interest, are you expecting the "gas ring" to light straight away ? They do take a couple of minutes to warm up...

I did leave it burning for approx 5 minutes and nothing seemed to happen so I blew out the flame! Do I need to leave it longer? Also, do you have to fill the burner unit it to the top?

Assuming I can get it working do any members know how efficient are they to operate regarding fuel consumtion.

Cheers
Nick

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
After 2 or 3 minutes you should get blue flames coming out the little holes like a gas burner.

If you fill the well half full it will go down as the meths soaks into the padding. Fill it a bit more. Clean the wee holes with a fine needle or pin. Light. Wait 5 minutes. If it still doesn't look like a gas ring with blue flame issuing from the jets, check th fuel. Meths is alcohol and a little water. Left open, the alcohol evaporates away. Use fresh meths.

If still no joy, let us know!

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
nipper said:
Assuming I can get it working do any members know how efficient are they to operate regarding fuel consumtion.

I occasionaly use a mini trangia stove (which has the same burner as the larger trangias), and I find that they are quite good for fuel consumption. I find that a full fuel well will last maybe a little over 30 mins (may not be accurate because I've never actually timed it).

As long as I have a bottle of meths with me I find I don't run out during the trip.

j.roberts7

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2005
you need to fill only 2 thirds full then light with match and wait 2 minutes for the stove to heat up then pressure builds up in there and the fumes ignite and you should get the flames like a gas burner round the sides

now if yours is old then it may well need cleaning around the holes or it could be that there is damage to the cloth stuffing inside which is the filling (maybe all clogged up )

you could try it at home by pre heating the cooker empty over a flame like your home gas cooker and then fill it and light to see if this makes any difference sometimes very cold climate can affect it burning properly and you can buy a pre heater from trianga for very cold conditions it consists of a little stand and a plate you put the plate down and put a tea light on it and the stand round it light the tea light and place the cooker on top when warm and working properly you blow out the tea light you could make this kind of set up your self or warm it using a lighter from under it first last resort is they range from £7 to £10 new in the shops just for the cooker bit there shouldnt realy be any problems with this type of cooker as theres nothing to break on them hope this helps

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Like the guys say, it takes a couple of minutes.

Sometimes the vapour from the holes is reluctant to catch in which case blowing gently across the burner can bend the flame to one side and help the outer ring ignite - but this is one of those dodgy tricks that you try at your own risk - same as learning how to blow the burner out without splashing your face in burning meths ! :eek:

nipper

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Well I have had some success this afternoon. I have managed to get the burner to light by gently blowing across it, but I have a tall yellow flame not a short blue flame like my domestic cooker. Could this be something to do with the quality of the meths or is there likely to be another problem?

Cheers
Nick

j.roberts7

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2005
that ok the orange falme is right
the more windy it is the bigger the flame and the faster the meths runs out
happy cooking

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE