Tree Warden

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Is anyone a local Tree Warden for their local Parish?

If so what do you do ( really ) and what is your experience of doing the job. ?

TIA

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Sounds ideal for bushy people to involve themselves in if they are trying to find local areas to become little Tree oasis.

Just applied for my local Parish position - a good way to meet land owners and provide some reciprocal care for trees, the environment and wildlife.

What Tree Wardens do​

Tree Wardens plant, protect and promote their local trees. No training or experience in tree management is needed – just a love of trees and a few hours to spare.

Tree Wardens are organised into local groups. Each group is managed by a co-ordinator and is autonomous, meeting regularly to decide what they would like to focus on. Some of the projects Tree Warden groups have done include:

• Arranging local tree planting days
  • Pruning, watering and giving vital aftercare to local trees after planting
  • Working with local authorities to plant and care for our precious street trees
  • Rejuvenating local woodlands in need of management
  • Raising funds and identifying suitable land for local tree planting projects
  • Going into schools to talk to young people about the value of trees.

Reactions: TLM

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
That's cool, good for you TD goodjob let us know how it goes and the process etc.

There's a job on their site that might be good for someone here as well...
Volunteer Engagement & Comms Officer

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I have now been informed I am now apparently a Tree Warden.

I'm thinking of the role as an updated Druid Class for the 21st Century.

( No sickle or frock however )

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Or a frock :)

On a more serious note, there isn't a local coordinator in our area :( So, do I want to start a group? Maybe you can let us know what's involved from the inside TeeDee.

I will enquire and pass the information on.

But surely.. Wales.... real Druids are everywhere??

:)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I think its a worthy and fun thing to do.

I have spent the past year in working on my employability; I have got involved in all sorts of Heritage projects.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Update:-
So having a few more Zoom type meetings in reference to the Tree Warden bit.
Their is an obvious hierarchy of order - Tree Wardens - Tree Officers - Tree Co-ordination teams that then interact & advise at the Parish/District/County levels of governance upon issues impacting Trees in the community - from planning issues , TPO's , Identifiable tree diseases etc .

And a lot of the details reference how this new initiative is still being disseminated from HQ down the lines and how the strategy is conveyed and implemented.

But I do have a question if people here in the UK can answer it please:-

How/Why do your families/spouses/sons/daughters ( ie non-bushcrafty types ) feel Trees in their Community are important or what value do they provide?

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
My son at 2 and a half recognises that the trees are good for the birds and that they change at Autumn time. He likes to walk and collect different leaves.
Haven’t found any conkers round me yet but we are looking

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
My son at 2 and a half recognises that the trees are good for the birds and that they change at Autumn time. He likes to walk and collect different leaves.
Haven’t found any conkers round me yet but we are looking
Thank You Wildgoose.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Good luck with the warden role and this project.
In my view the value of trees comes from engagement at a young age. In spring we make crepe paper blossom collages, in autumn we use the fallen red, brown, yellow leaves to do the same.
We used to make tree rubbings in school, Xmas wreaths etc.

In my area (Heathrow) so many roads are named after trees, shows how important they once were/are

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
Hi mate, re: your question. I think it's fair to say that my partner and daughter (and me too) appreciate the social amenity provided by trees. Not to mention the oxygen producing, shade/temperature regulation, homes for many species etc. To the extent where we got involved with the Sheffield tree protest/protection.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Hi mate, re: your question. I think it's fair to say that my partner and daughter (and me too) appreciate the social amenity provided by trees. Not to mention the oxygen producing, shade/temperature regulation, homes for many species etc. To the extent where we got involved with the Sheffield tree protest/protection.

Do you think ( maybe ? ) we are more attuned to that angle of thought BECAUSE we are bushy tree loving hippy monkeys?

I mean - do you think the average Joe ( or Josephine... P.F.J.. ) appreciates and values Trees? even on a basic level without them over thinking it??

I've never lived in a city and to be honest - I WOULD find it mentally difficult. But I wonder if city life for the city folk is enhanced by Tree life?

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
To be fair, my misses got involved before I did. I was a Johnny come lately. But not having any issues with walking up and down a deserted and semi rural road at 3am meant I could help a little.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
To be fair, my misses got involved before I did. I was a Johnny come lately. But not having any issues with walking up and down a deserted and semi rural road at 3am meant I could help a little.

Thanks for the info Steve - appreciated.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Some time ago I emailed the contact I had found on line about Tree Wardens locally as I was interested but I never got a reply. Still why should I care, do I need a badge to care about trees and watch out for them?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Some time ago I emailed the contact I had found on line about Tree Wardens locally as I was interested but I never got a reply. Still why should I care, do I need a badge to care about trees and watch out for them?

Probably not.

Or probably for the same reason you want to mention your disappointment here.

?

So you rang once and didn't get a call back. Ok. Move on.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Trees? I am looking for the forest. Except in rare cases a single tree just does not make it ...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE