Tree Surgery Heaven

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Although I'm a qualified climber-arborist, I don't so this for a living but just occasional jobs for friends & family.

Dismantled small-ish tree for friend's nan yesterday in the rain! Great fun, hard work, very satisfying. Apart from having to break branches down by hand afterwards for 2.5 hours. That's why God invented the woodchipper.

23m4dn6.jpg

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Glad your having fun.
Its a great job, best thing I did was quit the factory for the trees.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
yep great fun, I used to climb for the National Trust and still do an odd tree for friends and neighbours, no insurance so never take money for it but if you can do it then it's good fun to do one occasionally. Don't think I have ever been as fit or as flexible as when climbing.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Glad your having fun.
Its a great job, best thing I did was quit the factory for the trees.

Heaven! heh heh!

robin_wood, that's basically what I do, jobs for mates and family. They cover my expenses (tooling, petrol, consumables, etc) and feed me. And I get to do something I really enjoy! As I work on my own, I don't do big stuff as I don''t have all the dismantling kit. But, small/medium trees and crown-lifts, trims, topping, etc, are all possible solo. Tend to work mostly with a handsaw if I can and change to chainsaw only when necessary - much safer.

Toddy, shredders are fine for garden waste but chippers will munch branches up to 3" diameter and produce chipped mulch you can chuck on your flower beds - awesome! It's amazing to see a pile of branches end up as a wheelbarrow full of chippings...

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
chippers are really a godsend, iv done a fair bit of self employed work but only did it small time (just me and a crappy little van when i was 19). mostly did small reduction work but if you spend some time with some loppers and stack it neatly you can shift a lot of brash in a van.

now im working at a proper firm with a wood chipper life is so much easier, especially when felling desiesed elm trees we chip up to 6 inch and leave it on sight rather than taking it away to be burnt. it can save use several truck loads in a day:)

just be aware about putting fresh chip on your garden. leave it to rot for about a year otherwise it will starve your flowerbeds of nitrogen which is required for the woodchip to decompose!

pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE