Tree Identification Skills - Help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nicholson95

Feb 24, 2011
Livingston
Hey
I was just wondering does anyone know of a book that has ALL british trees and how to identify them?

I know tree identification skills can be picked up along the way, I mean I know how to identify the basics like Birch, Beech, Pine and Oak. But i want to fast track my learning of this skill.

Can anyone help me out??

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
There's a good few tree guides out there, but the main difficulty is that they include all the exotics and non-native species that are also planted in this country.

Quickest way to learn is to find someone who already knows their stuff, and have them show you. Local forestry commision, woodland trust, or wildlife trust ought to be able to point you in the direction of someone helpful.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
You can't really learn it fast track from a book. The way to learn is never pass a tree without knowing what it is. Set aside time to get out there with your handbook and identify some trees. You need to look at lots because they vary enormously depending on the age whether open grown or woodland grown, locality changes the way the bark looks due to lichen growth etc. Then you start identifying them at different times of year by the buds rather than leaves. Everyone can identify an oak when it has acorns but can you be sure when it has no leaves? and can you tell pedunculate oak from sessile oak or turkey oak?
There are loads of good books out there and it's good to get several because they all show different aspects. Anything by Alan Mitchell will be good and cheap second hand eg http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/S...ell&bt.x=31&bt.y=10&sts=t&tn=Trees+of+Britain
I quite like Roger Philips photographic guides for quick non technical id's of leaves. http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?an=roger+phillips&bt.x=54&bt.y=11&sts=t&tn=Trees

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There's a very detailed and clear hardback by the Reader's Digest, "Trees and Shrubs of the British Isles", that I find very useful :)
Not lightweight, not for carrying about, but for reference I don't think I've been stuck yet :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Ditto the comments above,
Its not going to be a skill that can be picked up in short order - and a single volume ID book that covers all species in all seasons is going to be a mighty volume indeed.

Start with a few, then gradually add to your arsenal as you come across them, noticing their variations and individual quirks.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Sparrowhawk

Sep 8, 2010
Huddersfield
I'm in the same boat. My plant knowledge is pretty pants. What would most consider to the plants that every Bushcrafter should know by heart?

Nicholson95

Feb 24, 2011
Livingston
Hey everyone, update on what books ive bought :)
Collins Tree Guide
Collins Gem Trees (pocket size)
Collins Food For Free
Collins Gem Food For Fee (pocket size)
Collins Gem Mushrooms (pocket size)
and... the one... the only...
SAS Survival Guide (I hear very good things)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I find it to be a process of elimination thats hard to learn solely from a book, just as Robin suggests. Grab a pocket book or just use the various websites as i did but importantly get out there and get close up and see what they are like in the flesh/wood. Dont just look at the bark or its over all shape, see what its like year round, look at the floor for leaves in the winter and the buds and branches at various stages through out the seasons. The feature that beginners tend to rely on the most is the bark and leaves, leaves are not there all year round and bark can be massively different within one species. Once you learn to ID a few it narrows down the ones you cant pretty quickly.

It helps if you have an alterior motive too such as good bow wood or ncie to cook on etc etc ;)

WoodMan

Forager
Jan 18, 2008
Norfolk
The large black collins tree guide is very good. Probably the best allround nature ID book I have is the Readers Digest one. Very easy to use for example, if you want to fins a flower, you look up 'pink flower' count the petals and there you have it. Glyn

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE