Tree ID - anyone guess what tree this is?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Tulip tree? - nope, it's too tall. What about wych elm? Perhaps not as the bark is too smooth...
Final guess - grey alder?

Last edited:

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Difficult to tell from your photos John, are they single leaves or tri-lobed? At a glance it could be one of the lesser known maples such as Tartar Maple or lime leaved maple, the undersides look like whitebeam tho'.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am sorry about the picture quality :(
A couple of clues .
Very common in Britain
I use a lot for making a variety of crafts .

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Don't think its an elm as the stalks are too long.
I would be leaning towards an alder of some sorts. If you do prune a branch remove the bark and if it and your ur hands go fake tan orange its alder. The timber is also very light weight. Leaves will be double toothed like an alder.
If its very heavy timber might be cog wood.
When it fruits that will be a dead give away, also look on the floor under the tree and see what clues are there.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ooooh - I cannot bear tormenting my friends any longer :)

It is a Sycamore!
The confusing element is that - where a branch has ripped out sometime in the past - a common or garden Blackberry has rooted!
It is the blackberry leaf you are seeing, not the tree leaf (all of which are much higher) :)
Don't blame me - the rest of the gang egged me on to post this puzzle :D

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Ooooh - I cannot bear tormenting my friends any longer :)

It is a Sycamore!
The confusing element is that - where a branch has ripped out sometime in the past - a common or garden Blackberry has rooted!
It is the blackberry leaf you are seeing, not the tree leaf (all of which are much higher) :)
Don't blame me - the rest of the gang egged me on to post this puzzle :D
you are a very bad man, a very bad man indeed ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE