Transport solution needed, any help massively appreciated

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
Knowing how helpful and generous the members of this place are thought i'd give this a go ,.......in brief.

Between us Morch and I need to get a 15 foot canoe from his place in Whithorn (an hour and half West of Dumfries)

to my place,,,,(or as close as possible) near Pontefract West Yorkshire,

i,m not completly broke,...but just spent too much already attempting to pick it up, (long story,...lol) and could cover some fuel or even knock a blade up etc,...

I was thinking, anyone going to the Borders Skill Share from near either of us could do a bit of a handover maybe???

Anyway,...any and all suggestions are welcome and gratefully appreciated.

Cheers,...Stu...

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Not going up my self but i have a set of airbags that will fit pretty much any car. That combined with half a dozen rachet straps does me, if anyone is local/ish and wants to lend them they are more than welcome.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
What went wrong mate? I got a PM from Louis last night but I didn't get in until 02:00

I'm heading up to Comrie at half term (18th - 20th) with Carol, I could swing by that way on the way home and grab it for you. It'd probably be easier if you called up after work and grabbed it one night maybe, I'd say I could load it up before coming to work but that'll never happen at six in the morning :)

If I head up sooner I'll let you know.

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
What went wrong mate? I got a PM from Louis last night but I didn't get in until 02:00

I'm heading up to Comrie at half term (18th - 20th) with Carol, I could swing by that way on the way home and grab it for you. It'd probably be easier if you called up after work and grabbed it one night maybe, I'd say I could load it up before coming to work but that'll never happen at six in the morning :)

If I head up sooner I'll let you know.

Rich,...thats brilliant mate,..where are you headed?...

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
The long story is: Stu had my postcode and house phone number (mobiles don't work here so i don't have one). Stu sets off on friday and spends the evening in Dumfries. 2 a.m. saturday morning we have a power-cut (not worried at this stage). Power is off until 16-10 on the saturday. Stu spends a couple of hours driving round the area trying to find me after leaving message on the forum and no doubt numerous phone calls. Of course we have one of those fabulous portable phones, atleast they're fabulous until you have a power cut when they are useless. I can't get online with no electric. I can't go and find a public phone as i don't have Stu's number. We vare TWO minutes away from each other (Stu and his wife and 2 kids probably furious, me at home thinking I don't believe this is happening). The weather for Stu is closing in so eventually he sets off for home. I get power back on and call him straight away and leave a message (already said mobiles are useless in this area), Stu gets home eventually after getting stuck in the snow.

You couldn't make it up. I also had to electronically sign and send a contract back to a property developer before 14-30 Saturday afternoon to guarantee a house to move too. Guess what, I couldn't do it. We've now spent the rest of the weekend pi$$ed off that Stu didn't get the canoe but wondering if we have lost the house or not.

A long story yes, but not a happy one. If anyone can help us with the delivery i'm sure we'd both be very grateful

Many thanks

Dave

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
Sorry Rich, don't have a roof rack since changing cars, don't even have roof bars any more so can't fix it to the car.

Dave

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
The long story is: Stu had my postcode and house phone number (mobiles don't work here so i don't have one). Stu sets off on friday and spends the evening in Dumfries. 2 a.m. saturday morning we have a power-cut (not worried at this stage). Power is off until 16-10 on the saturday. Stu spends a couple of hours driving round the area trying to find me after leaving message on the forum and no doubt numerous phone calls. Of course we have one of those fabulous portable phones, atleast they're fabulous until you have a power cut when they are useless. I can't get online with no electric. I can't go and find a public phone as i don't have Stu's number. We vare TWO minutes away from each other (Stu and his wife and 2 kids probably furious, me at home thinking I don't believe this is happening). The weather for Stu is closing in so eventually he sets off for home. I get power back on and call him straight away and leave a message (already said mobiles are useless in this area), Stu gets home eventually after getting stuck in the snow.

You couldn't make it up. I also had to electronically sign and send a contract back to a property developer before 14-30 Saturday afternoon to guarantee a house to move too. Guess what, I couldn't do it. We've now spent the rest of the weekend pi$$ed off that Stu didn't get the canoe but wondering if we have lost the house or not.

A long story yes, but not a happy one. If anyone can help us with the delivery i'm sure we'd both be very grateful

Many thanks

Dave

the worst bit was trying to decide on a cut off point at which time we decieded to set off home without the boat (knowing a 2nd trip was not an option)

the weather reports from my area were coming in (on Ali's Facebook) sayin the 66 and A1 were getting silly,...

i had to be back today for work and dint fancy a night in the truck with the kids,,,altho we were prepped for it,...

then when we got rolling,..i kept thinking,.."would i turn round if he called now?",.....

managed to stay on the back axle along the 66 but got onto the A1 and had to clunk Mitsy into 4 wheel,...it was horrendous and Ali still has white knuckles,...

hahhaha

Dave,...sh1t happens mate,...and like you say, you couldnt write it,...the Raikes family had an adventure (and a nice fry up) and no one died, so dont sweat it,..

the fairytale ending will be if i can get my boat without spending anymore money ,...lol...

IMG00359-20120204-0943 by Raikey1, on Flickr

IMG00361-20120204-1713 by Raikey1, on Flickr

IMG00363-20120204-1844 by Raikey1, on Flickr

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
Hell Stu those conditions don't look good for driving in mate. And i agree, sooner or later the decision needed to be made to head off home, especially with weather like that. Just sods law that you were so close and we were unable to contact each other. And ain't it typical hat you head off for home and 2 hours or so later we get power back on. Even if you'd have been prepared to turn round and come back here, the mobile signal is that bad yo probably did't even get my message until you were back in England lol. We'll sort something out with the help of the good folks on here I'm sure

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE