Transit sized van

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
Firstly sorry I know this isn't strictly bushy related but I know who I trust and I'm afraid you guys are it!
I need a new van:drive: for my work (Sparky) with three seats in the front to carry my two boys on the school run and want to get one which will be big enough to string a hammock on the diagonal in the back for the occasional two day job. I've been looking at a few and am now more confused due to the number of different reviews so can any of you guys help?
Colin

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Personally I'd rather have a full sized van, but I don't know of anyone who makes them anymore other than Nissan.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Stay away from vauxhall vivaro or any van that uses the same engine (there are about four other users) it's a piece of junk. VW van may suit or indeed a transit.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Stay away from vauxhall vivaro or any van that uses the same engine (there are about four other users) it's a piece of junk. VW van may suit or indeed a transit.

Plus 1 to this I had the renault traffic basically same van.you wanna be getting a transit mate.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I have a Renault Trafic crew van. Great engine (it's not the same as the Vauxhall) but don't get the semi auto gearbox that I have- it's pantaloons!

The new Transit custom is a very nice all rounder.

fredster

Forager
Oct 16, 2009
Ipswich, Suffolk
LWB T4. Get the 2.5 tdi if you can. What you pay over a transit for the badge on the front you'll save in longevity and no rusting. I've driven a fair few vans over the years and none of them feel as solid as a T4. Avoid T5's though; gearbox issues common.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
LWB T4. Get the 2.5 tdi if you can. What you pay over a transit for the badge on the front you'll save in longevity and no rusting. I've driven a fair few vans over the years and none of them feel as solid as a T4. Avoid T5's though; gearbox issues common.

Has a T5 in the 2006 130 variant; sweet as a nut. It's the 174 that are known for trashing DMFs.

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
Thank you all, it looks like Transit might be the way to go then. Budget will depend as I'd rather spend a bit more to get a decent van which will last than a cheap one which looks tatty and needs replacing in four years.
Colin

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
Iv been doing some research , from lwb connects to t5 vw and as someone's already said a vw t4 works and works but you need to buy the van not the reg ,oh and there rocking horse poo to get hold of I'm on the hunt for a t4 lwb crew bus and if it's AA type maintained then I can live with the yellow.

Pete K

Forager
Nov 13, 2012
Derbyshire
www.facebook.com
I've got a Transit. 2007 ex RAC SWB. It's my second van conversion. Taken the shell, insulated and ply lined. Then added cooking unit and double bunk. Spend about 1 week a month living in her. Rest of the time it's a changing room and kit store for my outdoor activity business.
Transits are great. Simple and generally quite reliable. Keep it waxoiled and clean to stove off the inevitable Ford rot.
Got my last 2 from MVS - junction 31 on M1. Top dealer and sells all the ex RAC vans.

colly

Forager
Apr 10, 2010
Edenbridge Kent
are you talking about new or second hand?
Transits do seem to be about the best but don't count on back up from Ford or their official repairers they will duck out of supporting the warrantees any way they can.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE