Trangia MIni Stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Hey,

I have a mini trangia and it's the only stove I use. I have had no complaints with it and find it fantastic. It's light and small, really hard wearing, I've never had trouble with it not lighting or anything, and the non-stick pan that comes with it is fantastic for doing some fried bread in the morning ;) !!

It really is a good stove, can't fault it!

Dan

p.s. I don't know what tentors is....

redflex

Need to contact Admin...

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
I'm a trangia lover... I've used an old 27 series for maybe 8 years now. My girlfriend bought me the mini one for christmas and it's amazing! Really pleased with it, it's a lot better than the standard. Weighs very little, has a non-stick pan, and is in fact slightly easier to use than the standard version. Comes with a very hearty recommendation from me :)

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i love my mini trangia. it goes everywhere with me (camping anyway) also, i find that you can buy a 14cm bowl for a few quid from blacks (made by seagull, exactly the same as the MSR alpine bowl, but 1/3 the price) and it fits over the stove when packed to add a little versatility.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
odin13 said:
hi, havent posted on this forum for ages, but anyway, i'm goin to be doing tentors in may, if any of you no what it is? and i need a stove, what would be the best option, preferably under £20
i saw this http://www.fieldandtrek.com/src/Ema...METH/product-Trangia-Mini-Stove-Set-18034.htmmini trangia

thought it looked quite good
cheers,
alex
Lots of luck with ten tors! it was (breaks into cough) years ago my brother "led the way" for our family on this event. I remember his team being told they couldn't complete the 45 mile route on the first day or camp at the finish line for the overnight! Nutters :lmao: I'm more of a stroller than a racer!

Red

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
As a kid I did a number of Ten Tors and Exmoor Perambulations and used to spend at least one weekend in every month on Dartmoor training for Ten Tors. A great experience and one I feel every young person should experience and I wish you the very best of luck and hope you finish, an achievement in itself.

I have and use a mini trangia on lowland walks and such and like it a lot.

But and people will argue that I am wrong, I saw too many people trying to use trangias on Dartmoor and in other mountain areas with little success, often not being able to light them in adverse condition or once lit taking too long to heat water/food to a suitable temperature.

In that environment with the added pressure of the competition it is imperative that you can light and use a cooker in any weather condition, including snow blizzards.

Our team found through trial and error that the most effective way to cook and boil water in any condition was to use hexi blocks but not with the army issue cooker but putting the entire box of hixi tablets in the base of a small mess tin and light the whole lot with lifeboat matches, this gave you enough heat to boil enough water for everyone on the team for adding to food and drinks, this also provided enough fuel and heat to combat the effects of the weather on the fire.

If you choose this method I suggest you practice it first before the ten tors event with some other source of heating meals as back up.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
While you guys have made some good points, I don't quite agree with your statements. Trangias are storm-cookers, even the mini-one, the model 28. I have a Trangia 28, and I have since stopped using my MSR Whisperlite in favour of it.

We all know that the 28's bigger brothers the 27 and 25 come with huge windscreens so they can be used in all weather; indeed the Swedish military uses them in the middle of their winter and apparently even melt snow on them. (I've been told in a previous thread here that the trick is to keep the burner warm before using)

I have yet to melt snow on my 28, but I have no fear that it will not do it. What I have done with mine is to make a tight-fitting external windscreen by cutting down and putting small air holes in an MSR windscreen. I don't have a digital camera at the moment, but I will try to describe what I have done to my 28:

The windscreen fits about a half-inch around the aluminum burner holder/pot stand, with and leaves about one inch space between the top of the holder and the pot. The diameter of the windscreen is such that it fits inside the stove pot along with with the burner, holder, etc etc....

As I said above, while I have not used this setup in winter yet, I HAVE used it absolutely horrific wind and rain the stove worked fine. I've also been told by one of my father's climber buddies that he had used a Trangia at 14,000 feet in Pakistan, and that it held up fine. As well, Trangia's can safely be used inside a properly ventilated tent, should the weather conditions not permit outdoor cooking. Burning meth's produce carbon dioxide, unlike burning petrol which gives off carbon monoxide.

Personally, I think the whole thing with the Trangia is that it will work fine in almost any weather conditions. The determining factor is whether you mind waiting for a meth stove to cook your meals!

Cheers,

Adam

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
As i said, someone would ague the point, i was just sharing my experience and observations of other people struggling with it and going hungry.

Ten Tors is set at a difficult time of year when it comes to the weather, you can experience any condition from driving snow, force 10 gales, torrential rain and heat waves so you need a cooker that can work in all these conditions.

In 1986 over 300 teams had to be rescued from the moor due to freezing whiteout conditions 10/12 years later the teams were having to be rescued as they were going down with sever dehydration with temperatures in the mid 80s.

The moral of the story is that you and your kit must withstand everything that the moor can through at you whilst you are competing in the toughest challenge a young person can do in this country. Many teams drop out or have to be rescued for one reason or other but it is surprising how many drop out because they don't know there limitations or the limitations of the equipment they are using.

Some teams have dropped out because they could not get there stove lit!

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
I'm rather surprised by a lot of the comments on here. Trangias are very easy to light! The windshield helps, after all. You light a match, hold it to the alcohol... and it lights. It can take several attempts, particularly if it is raining, but it's rarely more than that. If you literally can't light it you're doing something quite wrong. I personally use a firesteel to light mine, that I keep in the yellow burner bag. That way I know I never need to worry about it.
Additionally, Trangias work in almost every single condition found on this planet. They love the wind, where they'll burn high and hot. They shrug off blizzards, and pouring rain. Even if they didn't, they can (unlike gas cookers) be safely taken inside the tent as they never flare. I have personally used them in temperatures below -40 degrees celsius. The only difference in operation is that a different fuel is used (as methylated spirits waxes, I imagine similar to the way that petrol does, at about -30), which Leon tells me is naptha. That, and if you touch the metal stove you'll be very very stuck to it, although of course you'll have little or no bare skin at that temperature. They are more than game enough for snow melting, which takes an incredible amount of time for any stove (can be two whole hours or even more for a big pan). Unlike gas, no preheating or anything needs to occur, nor do they lose pressure. This summer my Trangia broke my fall from about twenty feet, onto solid, hard, ice - with the result that there's a tiny dent in the lid that I'll be able to show my grandchildren - because I can confidently say that it'll still be working then :cool:
Adi, I think the problems with people on Ten Tors were not that the stove let them down, but that people didn't know the kit they were using. The only time I have given up trying to light the stove was in a total whiteout, and for the reasons that if I'd sat still much longer I'd not have got up again (never mind my hypothermia, I'm talking about snow drifting onto me and clothes freezing solid), and that snow was filling the burner faster than I could even pour fuel in, never mind scoop out by hand. And I'm sure that but rarely happens on Dartmoor, respectful as I am of conditions there (done TT twice now, was hoping to run the 55 with my running club but sadly it will have to wait, not to mention many weekend walks) - and I'm nothing special! I'm sure there are people who would make my Trangia-using abilities look like a zebra trying to do needle work. :)

Edit: that came out as a bit of a rant, sorry folks!
PS I accidentally used petrol in my 27 series once... apart from the 9 foot flame it was brilliant, if a little sooty. Has not harmed it the tiniest bit, amazingly. Although it did manage to set light to my mate's hair, and scarily singe his passport and bus ticket... but that's a story for another time :D

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
jet1.jpg

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
Now i got all kinds of alcohol stoves o the trangia good but not as good as a jiffy heat made in the 50 s or so hard to find cant save fuel no screw on cover but better flame . Now as you can see i got me a jet boil companion cup made a pot stand put jiffy heat stove in it cause the flame got to spread out to hit fins the trangia only goes up .Ok on 1 oz. fuel 20 oz water 2-1/2 min. hot 3-1/4 boil now time is the same as a canister total burn time 1 oz. denatured alcohol 9 to 10 min. I also made a pumice rock stove works great only on a 1/2 oz. will boil 12 oz water last 10 min. burntime. Well thats my 2 cents

jet1.jpg

jet2.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE