TRail shoes for UL backpacking and day walks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Are there any people on here who have stopped wearing boots and are now using trail or fell shoes? If so what do you wear? Any recommendations?

Currently I have just killed my third pair of Walsh spirit peaks (the black with red details trail shoes). I've used Montrail Highlanders and innov8 roclite 315 too. The Roclites lasted me 2.5 months tops and the highlanders 9 months. The Walshes average out at about 6 months per pair. Now I buggered up my lat pair of boots in 6 weeks but used them with waterproof socks for about a year on and off. The boots before were great big heavy B1.5 or B2 boots which lasted about 18 months. My 3 pairs of boots before were Scarpa SLs which lasted 4 years, 2 years and less than 1 year respectively.

Anyway I am a heavy user of outdoor footwear and really I expect to have to get two pairs of trail shoes a year if not more. I can't get on with boots for many reasons from I get better stability through allowing my ankle and foot being allowed to work more naturally than high cuff boots ever offered so I now don't do any ankle damage whereas with boots I turned ankles and caused minor damage every walk and major damage needing weeks away from walking in the hills about once a month. Also boots at £160 or so lasting less than one year or two pairs of £65 shoes lasting over one year means shoes win on economic grounds too.

Basically I'm looking to switch from Walshs spirit peak to something different. I like them to be durable for fell shoes but light. Anyone got any ideas? It is for walking and backpacking BTW with perhaps some easy fell running if I get into running later on. Preferably not costing £95 like some shops are selling inov8s. Deffo not worth that especially since you can still pick up some at about £76.

Any ideas

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I think I want to look at least a little normal when kicking steps in snow this winter. Yes I use fell shoes in winter conditions, sue me!!

Beside I doubt my feet are strong enough for barefoot shoes / shoe socks thingies (or whatever the five fingers are called). You really need to work down in support to them. I have used innov8 3 arrow shoes so I need to work down 1 arrow level at a time. However I suppose the Walshes were also a 3 arrow equivalent. 3 arrow equate to 6mm at the front and 9mm at the back. IIRC 2 arrow is 6mm front and back. The 1 arrow is something like 3mm footbed front and back but I could be wrong there. Its all about working down to flat level inside the shoe and minimal distance between the ground and your foot.

I prefer a bit of cushioning as I am not running but walking which is harder to do with forefoot down first as in barefoot running. Also I do challenge walks so need a degree of cushioning. Don't think barefoot stuff will work for me for backpacking. When I get into running I reckon I might give it a try. We'll see.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I think I want to look at least a little normal when kicking steps in snow this winter. Yes I use fell shoes in winter conditions, sue me!!

Beside I doubt my feet are strong enough for barefoot shoes / shoe socks thingies (or whatever the five fingers are called). You really need to work down in support to them. I have used innov8 3 arrow shoes so I need to work down 1 arrow level at a time. However I suppose the Walshes were also a 3 arrow equivalent. 3 arrow equate to 6mm at the front and 9mm at the back. IIRC 2 arrow is 6mm front and back. The 1 arrow is something like 3mm footbed front and back but I could be wrong there. Its all about working down to flat level inside the shoe and minimal distance between the ground and your foot.

I prefer a bit of cushioning as I am not running but walking which is harder to do with forefoot down first as in barefoot running. Also I do challenge walks so need a degree of cushioning. Don't think barefoot stuff will work for me for backpacking. When I get into running I reckon I might give it a try. We'll see.

Fair enough.

I will say though that I use my VFF's for running, casual walking and backpacking. I recently did a two day backpack covering medium distances wearing them without socks and had no probs whatsoever.

I have been wearing them for nearly two years so I am used to them now. it does take a little time to adjust but worth it imho.

There is no getting around how they look I'm afraid :Wow:. You just have to develop a thick skin - and not just on your feet!!

Last edited:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I buy cheap karrimors from sports direct for work. They dont last and are not very good but are cheap.

I had a pair of karrimor Event lined trail shoes that were very waterproof and breathable but the soles and tread fell off after 6 months. I'm now wearing the new Event karrimors and they are much better, wider foot, better Vibram soles that are properly glued on, waterproof enough for me to stand in lake margins to launch my yak without getting wet feet and £45. I think they are a bargain, Event is great for shoes.

My boots are Scarpa Sls that are 6 years old and still going strong.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I took a punt on a pair of Salomon Fastpacker Mids, two trips in and they'e leaking like sieves, I'll get round to sending them back at some point. I was a bit gutted as I managed to grab them for just £60 from F&T, the reviews were good and one of the respected bloggers (petesy) raved about them.

I got a pair of Innov8 Terrocs recently too but I've only done around 40 miles in them so far. The soft soles are great for gripping on wet grass/mud/wet rock but I don;t think they'll see much past 200 miles.

gregor-scott

Nomad
Apr 26, 2010
bournemouth
I have a pair of north face that I think are awesome, not 100% on model but I think it's X2, very comfy, lightweight and they have been going for a couple of years so are hard wearing, I paid £65 in Cotswolds.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Hi,

I don't like wearing boots during the warmer months, too hot.

I got me a pair of Boreal Futura in early spring (like these - first link off Google: http://www.adventurepeaks.com/product/boreal_futura). They have a top notch trekking boot-like Vibram sole. Very happy with it. I use them for hiking, and general outdoor use, or even on casual days at work. Even with a heavy load over steep forest paths (think toddlers in baby carriers and gear) - no problem. Because of the Vibram they are not slippery.

Highly recommended.

Hope this helps.

ATB

Mike

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Some interesting options here. I am in Ambleside tomorrow so might look at the Adventure Peak shop at the Boreal Futuras Maletne suggested. Whilst I'm not a fan of waterproof shoes for one reason... the big hole at the top of the shoe where your foot goes in. I have yet to make a walk in the lakes or anywhere in the UK in Summer without stepping in a bog to above the top of the shoe. Well apart from the odd dry period of course even then you do hit bog. If you do get water in they don't really dry as you wear them. Also since I've never used membrane lined shoes I have no idea of their performance regarding swear. I know with sealskin socks in non-membrane shoes I end up with white, wrinkly feet in anything but the coolest of weathers due to sweating. I suspect membrane shoes are similar to wearing sealskins in hotter conditions. Worth checking out anyway.

Wondering about the LaSportiva Crosslites and the wildcat shoes at the Adventure Peaks shop. They both look interesting.

I think the TNF shoes are probably one of the Hedgehog variations (original or III versions are still being sold in various shops I think). The X2 refers to a part of the sole unit technology. Jeez! I'm a shoe geek!! Its just that I went shopping two months ago for a month looking for more relaxed multi-activity shoes for pre- / post walk shoes and around town and the TNF Hedgehogs were one option. Got some Berghaus ones with vibram soles. They were to replace my 6 plus year old SAloman Punteras (original version) they were uncomfortable when I got then and tore holes in the arches of my socks and also the arches of my feet. I used some silver duct tape on the shoes and they were comfortable ever since. The non-removeable inner tube had a sharp edge that stuck up and rubbed and cut my feet and socks. They have been so comfortable as post walk shoes ever since. When I had innov8 roclite 315s (315g per shoe IIRC) putting on the punteras felt great as they were actually lighter. not good for walking and backpacking in reeally though.

Terrocs are supposed to be popular for backpackers and walkers. I know LDWA members on challenge walks seem to be keen on them as you see a lot onf group walks and challenge walks. ALso in the LAkes you see a lot of new Balance shoes. Partly because of the "factory outlets shops" in Shap and Keswick I suppose. However I have never really thought much of the Terrocs as I thought the sole had a poor tread I thought. It is too shallow in my mind for muddy or wet grass. It does have the endurance sole rubber which is supposed to last longer. having said that so did thee Roclite 315s which still lost the tread after 2.5 months for me, well still had some tread but in key areas like heel area and centre of the fore foot the sole had worn down sufficient to become dangerously slippy and the midsole collapsed in the roclite 315s by 2.5 months so I had to replace on safety grounds. It was the Roclite's poor performance that put me off innov8s for about 4 pairs of shoes (about 2.5 years since I wore innov8s (my first proper pair of fell shoes for walking, that was when I switched from boots to fell shoes for good).

Tomorrow afternoon I have to go to Ambleside so will check the gear shops up there then head back to Kendal and Pete Bland Sports as that's a very good shop. Will have to get something as I've worn out all my fell shoes and have nothing for a wildcamp I'm on this weekend. Thanks for your advice people.

BTW I was wondering about hi-tecs I know some have that ion mask technology which is supposed to be good. LGO (a cheap shop that normally sells dog walker gear) is on the way to Ambleside and sell them so worth a punt.

I had Karrimor multi activity shoes way back for day to day wear to walks and other casual use. That was before the Sport Direct guy owned them. They lasted about 2 years or more. Not sure of them now on quality grounds, heard too many bad things about that.

Thanks people.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The Terrocs are really really grippy on wet grass mate so don't let that put you off, like you say though it's the longevity of them that deserves some consideration.

I'm still not sure if the wet feet thing is for me but I'll persevere until winter comes along.

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I go to sports direct and pay about £25 for the karrimor shoes. Just as good and lasts just as long as the merrells I used to fork out for. Downside you have to go into the chav fashion warehouse to get them :p

Last edited:

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
F&T in Kendal sells Karrimor so worth a visit too.

Looks like I'm going to be busy tomorrow afternoon. Ambleside from Lancaster for a bit of shopping (and errands) then LGO on the way back to Kendal and all the shops there incuding F&T, Nevissports and Pete Blands. Then home to pack for a couple of nights out then food and back out into the Lakes to kip in the hills friday and saturday night. Or at least that'll be the case IF i get these shoes.

I will check out the terrocs again at Pete Blands Shewie. I guess since so many LDWA challenge walkers use them they can't be too bad. AFAIK they are 4 arrows for cushioning. I used 3 arrows before in the roclite 315s and had wanted to go to 2 arrows (working to bare feet walking like TReadlightly and his five fingers). Decision time is tomorrow anyway. None of my usual dithering / exhaustive research for a month!! ;):D

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
If you can make it up to Keswick, have a look in the New Balance shop there. I've been wearing a pair of their fell running shoes since April and I can't fault them, mostly because they're the only fell running shoes that fit me properly and all I do to take care of them is rinse them in a beck after my walk if they're looking a bit muddy. They come in several width fittings too, but it may be best to phone then first to see if they have them in stock.

Cheers, Michael

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I could make the Shap factory shop. Got a pair of their trail shoes. These were more like road shoes but with a bit moree tread to them. I found that the fit seemed great but it turns out the width fitting is perfect but it somehow forces my toes against each other so that my smaller toes go over or under the one next to it. Causes blisters on my two smallest toes. Once had three blisters on two toes and all three blisters looked like a frog's throat when it gives its mating calls. Hurt like hell when they burst all at once!! I can't go far or for more than one day in them. Then I need a few days to heal afterwards.

GT73

Feb 28, 2011
London
I have a pair of Salomon Speedcross 2 which are superlight and non waterproof - which I was going to recommend but I am not sure if they are up to the task in terms of hardwearing..

May be the Inov8 roclite 400 GTX - all leather upper, good gripy sole - offer the right balance between lighness and sturdyness (but sadly have goretex waterproof liner). I haven't tried them out yet but they are next on my list.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I have a pair of Salomon Speedcross 2 which are superlight and non waterproof - which I was going to recommend but I am not sure if they are up to the task in terms of hardwearing..

May be the Inov8 roclite 400 GTX - all leather upper, good gripy sole - offer the right balance between lighness and sturdyness (but sadly have goretex waterproof liner). I haven't tried them out yet but they are next on my list.

One problem is that they (roclite 400's) are not that easy to get hold of. They are available online but not many stores actually stock them so seeing them in the flesh and trying them on for fit/comfort is difficult.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE