Traditional American pattern pocket knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I'm very much a traditionalist at heart. I like leather and canvas and forged carbon steel knives and axes - these things seem to have a soul and are more than just tools.

Although not carbon steel, one of my favourite pocket knives is a buck prince. It is so light you hardly notice it in your pocket and is nice to look at too. I can only imagine a multiblade knife of this type to be more practical since I'd get to have one utility blade and one kept razor sharp for when needed.

On that note, I was wondering who here uses a traditional American pattern pocket knife like a stockman or trapper? I've never carried multiblade pocket knives before and would love to hear all of your recommendations on brand, pattern and model.

I don't have the same problem as you guys in the UK with having to keep the blade under 3 inches and non-locking, so I'd like to hear about the larger patterns too and even the rarer locking trappers.

Thanks,
Pete

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Buck 300 series
Great eastern cutlery
Case
Queen cutlery

all good US makers I've owned in the past but what i'm realy after is a Buck 703 series COLT

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
They are a lovely looking knife.

I was initially drawn towards the buck 301 (usa made) since I trust the 420 steel to be well heat treated and hold a hood edge, but Queen's D2 seems promising. It's just a pity a can't handle any of these before buying :(

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I dont know of anywhere you can pop in but there are usually traders at

www.knives-uk

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I really like the look of some of the 1095 models from Great eastern Cutlery. Initially the 'cattle king' looks like a great little knife. I'm hearing cery good things about their quality and rate 1095 quite highly.

I found an interesting blog where a guy who sells a good deal of this type of knife shares his exoerience of three of the major US manufacturers:

http://www.collectorknives.net/collectorknives-blog/

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I use a Tidiout Talon (Great Eastern Cutlery) in 1095 as a flint striker when I teach firelighting as the blade protrudes in a gentle curve when the knife is closed. It throws great sparks and the cutting edge is the best I have used on any knife.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I was thinking sone of then could be used like that alright. Damned nice flint striker though :O

Now the thing is trying to decide which model to get, and finding somewhere with it in stock.

What models do you guys prefer?

Feb 24, 2009
Virginia
I EDC a USA made Schrade/Old Timer 194ot, the single-blade, locking trapper in carbon steel. I can't sing the praises of this knife loudly enough, and I rarely find that I need a more robust blade in the woods (though I carry one).

It's not EDC-legal in the UK, but then you mention that's not a concern for you...

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
I EDC a USA made Schrade/Old Timer 194ot, the single-blade, locking trapper in carbon steel. I can't sing the praises of this knife loudly enough, and I rarely find that I need a more robust blade in the woods (though I carry one).

It's not EDC-legal in the UK, but then you mention that's not a concern for you...
I'm still looking for one...
Hard to come by here in the UK.
I will continue my quest.

They are just beautiful and they sure last a lifetime if looked after.

Here's something I borrowed off the tinternet for illustration purposes, it's an old advertising poster for it.

bda2e9d550c3161a1683f359b61d2ffa.jpg

:)

Chui

Feb 18, 2010
London
Hibrion - I was never that keen on American style slippies until about two-and-bit years ago - now, can't get enough of them.

Have recently bought a few, and particularly have two real biguns...

IMG_2599.jpg

IMG_2597.jpg

IMG_2574.jpg

As you can see, up against a standard Lanny Clip and a Swayback, these two are not small ;)

Nicest locking traditional pattern I have is an Oeser Lanny Clip Lockback (in c-f) - stunning f&f...

P1050531.jpg

P1040866.jpg

Last edited:

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Beautiful knives and great photos too. I wish I could take them like that. The stage handled ones really stand out for me. The fact that each one is somewhat unique appeals to me.

They aren't brands I'm familiar with. What types of steel do they use?

Feb 24, 2009
Virginia
Chui--Those are beautiful knives, but I'm afraid I can't afford any of them!

Hibrion--My photo skills are pathetic. Instead, I offer a pic from a multi-tool site of the knife I EDC:

194OT%20amp%20XLT_zpsj9cnsxbu.jpg

The nail-nick on mine is a bit larger and a bit closer to joint. If you look carefully, you can see the shine of the brass liner-lock (really an arresting liner rather than a lock, per se).

I love pocket slip joints: they cut very effectively, carry well, and are always ready to hand. For some reason, single blade trappers speak to me, and I really like the security the liner provides when I'm using this blade hard.

Chui

Feb 18, 2010
London
Beautiful knives and great photos too. I wish I could take them like that. The stage handled ones really stand out for me. The fact that each one is somewhat unique appeals to me.

They aren't brands I'm familiar with. What types of steel do they use?

- thank you

Steels - with the American makers it varies between a selection of 14C28N; ATS34 and RWL-34.

The very large bone-handle one I've shown has a blade of 01 steel, so will develop a good patina in time (made by UK maker).

fielder1963

Aug 29, 2013
Shropshire
This may sound like heresy but I would love a traditional like this, but with a pocket clip. My traditionals slip out of my pocket accidentally far too easily.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Over the years I've had a number of stockmans. Mostly Old Timer, plus one Buck and one Uncle Henry I couldn't complain about any of them. I also have a bit larger two blade trapper by Case (about 3& 1/2 inch blades) that I've had for nearly 40 years. The stockmans were my general purpose knife for almost everything I did for decades: peeling fruit, skinning and cleaning small game and fish, cleaning horse hooves, whittling, general cutting, etc.

I've only ever owned two styles of single blade folders: 1) an old fashioned barlow with a sub 3 inch blade, and a couple of Buck 110. Likewise to the other knives, I couldn't complain about either. Oops, I also have one other single blade; a hawk-bill in my tool box that rarely gets any use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE