Tracks in France

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mark

Forager
Dec 26, 2007
Stirlingshire
Now that I've worked out how to upload photos (thanks Resnikov), I thought I'd share some tracks that we found when on holiday in France.

For the canine prints, to me they do not look like domestic dog - the middle toes are slightly splayed, whereas on a domestic dog they are generally either straight or slightly point in and they were a lot bigger than any domestic dog prints I've seen before. Interestingly, there was another set of very similar prints running parallel, but slightly smaller.

The feline prints were larger than a normal domestic cat; maybe in France they have very large domestic cats.

The track that these prints are on were about 2km from the nearest habitation, however, the track was in use by mountain bikers.

Front paw, about 9.5cm long and 8.5cm wide
IMGP4087.JPG

Four paws
IMGP4089.JPG

Feline prints, about 4cm long and 3.5cm wide
IMGP4090.JPG

Both sets of prints
IMGP4093.JPG

I know what I want the prints to be, but am open minded.

cheers

Mark

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
something like a german shepard and a good sized farm cat? i personally don't think that there's anything particularly unusual about these tracks. i'd say that the toes are splayed out mainly because the animal was walking on such a soft surface.

stuart

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Have to disagree fellas, those ain't fox prints, I've magnified the pic (using the ctrl & mouse wheel trick) & they appear too compact for fox & there ain't no claw marks............they scream feline to me.

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The more I look at them, the more the one on the far left looks like fox, while the following two look feline/fox.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Errmm, well yeah, I have to concede that after a long hard look, the left track does look more canine, even with the absence of claw marks, As Bushwhacker pointed out, the heel pad is probably too far back from the toes for it to be feline.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE