Tracking Weekend with WorldWild UK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rawshak

Forager
Jan 11, 2009
Cornwall
What a great weekend!

I just got back from doing a weekend tracking course with WorldWild UK, and I must say, it was one of the best courses I have been on for a long time. Even the rather chilly weather didn't put a damper on the weekend :D

We met up on the Friday morning at the venue, which even by Cornish standards was stunningly beautiful, where we set up camp and had a bit of a 'meet and greet'. There was seven of us on the course, plus three members of the WorldWild UK staff. The atmosphere was extremely friendly, as is often the case when you get a group of likeminded people together, and we were all quickly getting on like we'd known each other for years.

The lessons and lectures were given in a very informative, relaxed and hands-on way. We started racking up our 'Dirt-time' almost from the word go, while at the same time we were taught stratergies for moving trough nature with the minimum of impact, essential if you ever want to see the animals you are following. We also learnt man-tracking and how to read the signs left by someones passage. We learn't how to get into the heads of the animals we were following in order to interpret the marks they leave. I can't begin to explain how exciting it is to not only find, but identify the marks and spore that you find in the wilderness, it opens up a whole world before you being able to read the 'stories' that nature leaves in its wake.

In short, we left the course with new friends and enthused with a desire to get down in the dirt and sniff poo :D

My thanks to all the staff for making us feel so welcome, and for such a great weekend. :)

bear knights

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Cornwall
what brilliant timing with the snow too! no excuses for not getting out and about yesterday as tracks couldn't have been clearer. bet you're thanking your lucky stars that you didn't have to leopard crawl through this!;)
Thanks for the positive feedback Justin and the pleasure was all ours. Couldn't have hoped for a nicer bunch to spend a chilly Jan/Feb weekend with.
See you in a couple weeks at Cornish meetup?

rawshak

Forager
Jan 11, 2009
Cornwall
See you in a couple weeks at Cornish meetup?

Yep, I'll be there :D

Could yourself or Rho give a heads-up to the guys that were at the tracking weekend if you have their contact details? I've told Johnny, but that's it so far, although I have Curly Steve on Facebook, so I'll let him know tomorrow if I get time. I'd be nice to get a bit of a community going, so hopefully this will be the first of many :D

slamdunk

Nomad
Sep 21, 2006
Sussex
Out of interest, how much time was devoted to 'man tracking' and how much to looking for spore/animal tracks and signs?

Reason I ask will become clear......

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
This is essentially a wildlife tracking course. Man tracking was introduced at a very basic level and mostly as a tool to study track analysis as we could manipulate the tracks easily.
A lot of time was devoted to finding and identifying various animal tracks, scat etc both on dry land and through tracking along the river.
Why do you ask? If you want to know exact course content please PM me or look at our website. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE