tracking for kids

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nipper

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I teach many different aspects of bushcraft skills, mainly older scouts and explorer groups. I was recently approached by a beaver and cub group in locally to help them with some tracking skills. Well after several chats with the leaders it became apparrent after carrying out a risk assesment that they we unhappy to take these younger kids into the forest. So, rather than call it off I put plan B into action!

I went down to are local DIY store and purchased some rolls of embossed wallpaper and laid them out on the scout hall floor. I then jumped in some mud and proceeded to lay a trail around the hall floor leaving other clues on the way, ie crisps, sweet wrappers, ketchup to simulate an injury etc. as I walked further around the room and the prints got harder to see, we started them using a tracking stick to find where the next print should be. We then switched off the lights so that we could simulate tracking at night using green and blue torches mounted on the tracking sticks.

Whilst it wasn't ideal it was a pretty good second best, and the kids loved it. There was no risk and they still had access to there home comforts.

I thought I would post this because whilst I prefer to track outdoors this seemed to be a good way to introduce children to the art of tracking, I also thought that if other leaders have encounterd the same problems this solution may help them.

Nick

PS Next time I may buy a cheap roll of blue wallpaper to simulate a stream or river!

Richard

Sep 30, 2003
Kent
www.trail-sense.co.uk
Good idea. Shame that things have become so risk-adverse that cubs/beavers can't track outside. Is there a field near your Scout hut you could use? Do your Cubs do an annual cub-camp? - maybe an opportunity to expand ther new skills in the great outdoors.

nipper

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Hi Richard

Your right it is a shame. I am not a leader but I am drafted in from time to time to help the explorers expand their skills. I despair of this nanny state that we live in. It's no wonder you can't get the kids out fronm behind there computers when all that is left for them is to listen to me tell them what fun I used to have as a child.

Things have got so bad I was teaching friction fire lighting in the New Forest last weekend, and the cubs and beavers could only watch their parents try it because the scout leaders were paranoid that they could get sued if somebody burns their fingers! I don't about you but I have taught my son, daughter and two nephews friction firelighting and they have never burned themselves. If the tinder nest gets to hot they just drop it.

I questioned why we couldn't take them tracking and was told that the last time they went out in the woods some of them got stung on some nettles, and the parents complained. Apparently one parent complained that her son got dirty. I give up!

I think I may start up my own campaign. How about calling it "LET THE KIDS LEARN" or "FRESH AIR AND FUN". Anyone else have any good campaign slogans I can use.

Il'l step off my soapbox now!

Nick

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
"Things have got so bad I was teaching friction fire lighting in the New Forest last weekend, and the cubs and beavers could only watch their parents try it because the scout leaders were paranoid that they could get sued if somebody burns their fingers! I don't about you but I have taught my son, daughter and two nephews friction firelighting and they have never burned themselves. If the tinder nest gets to hot they just drop it."

and the reason the leaders are "paranoid"...?

"I questioned why we couldn't take them tracking and was told that the last time they went out in the woods some of them got stung on some nettles, and the parents complained. Apparently one parent complained that her son got dirty. I give up!"

So it's not so much the leaders as the parents causing the problem. If I had parents like that for the Troop and Pack that I'm involved in, I suspect I'd be paranoid too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE