Tracking Boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lifthasir

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Yorks
ScottC - first time I've viewed this thread. The soles of your boots look
completely smooth. Is this the case? If so, I imagine they would be lethal on the
hills or in the mud in the UK. Are they intended for a specific use and
environment?

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Well you may have a point which I will have to test out, but I think these are primarily aimed as light woodswalking boots.

Lifthasir

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Yorks
ScottC - I look forward to your comments after you've given them a few whirls...
they may offer up some thing interesting...they do look as comfy as slippers though..ummm...never seen boots like that before..I'm very curious...

Swampy Matt

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 19, 2004
Midlands
Lifthasir said:
ScottC - first time I've viewed this thread. The soles of your boots look
completely smooth. Is this the case? If so, I imagine they would be lethal on the
hills or in the mud in the UK. Are they intended for a specific use and
environment?

Although I don't have a lovely pair of Grizzly Boots, I wear almost exclusively treadless moccasin style boots or shoes of various kinds. They are lethal on mud and rocks if you try to use them in the same way as walking boots.

However by modifying how you walk slightly, they are better that walking boots by far in every environment i've tried them in so far (most british environments and weathers)

Firstly SLOW DOWN. Soft soles are ideal for stalking, so you don't want to be moving fast anyway.
Turn your toes in slightly (pidgeon toe) and 'grip' with them.
Balance using your knees, ankles and hips - not your upper body as most people do with walking boots.
'Toe Down' as you walk, rather than 'heel down' this takes some practice, but forces you to move slowly (and is much quieter)
Finally, pick your path with much more care than you would with walking boots, avoiding deeper mud and rocky patches where possible.

It takes a little getting used to, but I wouldn't go back - It's very rare that I use my zamberlan boots anymore.

Lifthasir

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Yorks
Swampy - tks for the info. I see why they are rated as 'hunting/stalking boots..

I'm afraid they'd be no good for me. I've always been a bit of a yomper. Having
said that, maybe I should get some and start taking my time a bit more. Might take
in a bit more around me!

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
I'll bring them along to the wilderness gathering with me if anyone wants a look or to try them on, size 11 mind.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE