Topas or Safir 9cp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 17, 2010
norwich UK
Hi I am looking at purchasing a tentipi I have a large family of 6 but will mainly only be 5 of us. I have decided on either the safir 9cp or the topas 15. I am swaying towards the topas as I think it would offer me more much needed living space.

Does anyone have any pictures of the inside of a topas or a safir with people in so I can get an idea of the size or has experiance using a Topas as a family tent.

Are there any major reasons to sacrafice a bit of space and go for a safir 9cp

I would like to take a look at one but the nearest stockist to me is 4hrs drive away.

Any help will be much appreciated as there doesn't seem to be much info on the net aboout the topas.

If there is anyone in the norwich/ norfolk area that would be willing to show me round there safir 9 cp or topas and have a chat it would be great.

andywinkk

Nov 12, 2007
wigan
www.garmentsdirectltd.co.uk
I received delivery of the safri 9 on friday and went straight to wales for the night in the pouring rain, i would totaly recomend it very roomy and warm, i also got the tentipi stove which i was really impressed with,

There was 4 adults and 2 children and it wasnt cramped at all, i would say that i need to get some smaller camp chairs as the high back ones take up more room, i am also going to get single air beds to put round the edge so we are away from the stove,
I am going to use this for bushcrafting and family camping, all my other tents are now up for sale on flee bay:lmao:,

I am also going to make some sort of guard for the stove so we dont have any accidents with the little one who is 2,

You wont regret it believe me

Mar 17, 2010
norwich UK
photo's look great. I still havnt decided which one to go for even tho Im getting pressure from the wife to go for the new zirkon 15cp which is £400 more than the safir so may need to sell my much loved nallo 2gt to make up the difference. Dont know if I can bring myself to do it tho.

How did you find the whole experience compared to using a normal run of the mill sectioned family tent and is the setup time really as quick as is stated on specs for the tipi's.

is that a Primus omnifuel i see. (Good stove). Mine has taken a right battering and still runs like a jet engine.

Last edited:

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I love my Varrie 9 (what is now the Safir). I have a family of four. But 2 adults and two very small children. As they grow I think I would struggle with family camping (bushcraft use I'd be happy with 8 in the thing) and would want to get something else for them to kip in - a couple of polish 'laavus' maybe...

DSC01771.jpg

tipi.jpg

IMGP2015.jpg

IMGP2016.jpg

IMGP2017.jpg

IMGP2018.jpg

IMGP2000.jpg

IMGP2005.jpg

IMGP2011.jpg

IMGP2013.jpg

IMGP2014.jpg

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
photo's look great. I still havnt decided which one to go for even tho Im getting pressure from the wife to go for the new zirkon 15cp which is £400 more than the safir so may need to sell my much loved nallo 2gt to make up the difference. Dont know if I can bring myself to do it tho.

How did you find the whole experience compared to using a normal run of the mill sectioned family tent and is the setup time really as quick as is stated on specs for the tipi's.

is that a Primus omnifuel i see. (Good stove). Mine has taken a right battering and still runs like a jet engine.

Set up time is quite quick just to get the tent up.However if you want to pitch all the extra wind guy ropes then this will take you as long to pitch as a regular big tent.
As far as the camping experiance goes then once you have used one of these then you wont go back:)

Mar 17, 2010
norwich UK
Just what I wanted to hear. Am going to have to take a drive to nearest dealers soon to choose the size. Cant wait!!!

Thanks

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Set up time is anything from 20 minutes to 30 minutes for one person. I can get the thing upright and pegged out in about 10....then fitting the floor....maybe another 5....then tightening things up about 5 mins. If I am chatting, or its windy or I have had a beer then you can double it. If you have help you could do it in 10 easy.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I would say the 9 is OK/roomy for four, maybe five (couple + 2-3 teens or 5 adults) but not for six for an extended stay. I don't have the 15, but it looks a bit unwieldy and is lower spec than the 9 (no vents at the base). I have gone for the rather expensive solution of a 9 as the family tent and then a 5 for children's / teen's sleeping quarters

NS

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2010
norwich UK
yes the safir is higher spec but the new 2010 zirkon 15cp model has a new large ground level vent which was my main gripe with the topaz. I do see what you mean by unwieldy as it is a massive footprint but I think the cost of 2 tents and 2 pitches will work out to expensive for me even tho it is a good idea.

We will be camping mainly with 2 adults one 4yr old, one 1yr old and a 12 year old. The eldest daughter has gone of the camping idea since she turned 16 but would be good to be able to fit here in if she did start camping again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE