Top Kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Maddave,
Yeah, it's a pity something fairly well made like a mini mag has such a crappy light. But...

The "Opalec Newbeam" is a 3xLED conversion that plugs straight into any current 2 AA cell mini maglitre. It's pretty good. Very broad even white light compared to standard and batteries last FOREVER so quite handy around camp.

Joe at ODS was selling them for about £15 last time I looked. Good kit and good value if you already have the maglite.
Cheers, Alick

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Top Kit,
Thermarest- Fantastic transformed camping for me.
Tikka Plus headtorch - I'm well chuffed vast improvement on the zoom
Berghaus Munro 35 - my trusty backpack, lookin at that rocket pack tho.

Pile of pants:
MSR whisperlite stove - NEVER use one in your tent.(lethal)
(Peak one is not quite as bad)
Any "survival" knife with a hollow handle - Rambo has alot to answer for.
My dog at hunting

Cheers
Rich

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
They can certainly generate a fireball those MSRs :oops: Peak 1 can be more pants tho if you need to do a field repair (if you can find the parts ... they seem pretty rare now).

I think that the best thing to place in a hollow handle would be a handle :-D

Roving Rich said:
Pile of pants:
MSR whisperlite stove - NEVER use one in your tent.(lethal)
(Peak one is not quite as bad)
Any "survival" knife with a hollow handle - Rambo has alot to answer for.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Best:
1. SAK
2. Swedish Army Mess Kit
3. Charcloth (love it)

Worst:
1. The 2 militray pots that fit together and use hexytabs as fuel!
2. "Vangedal Slirekniv".
3. The weather channel. (never trust it :wink: )

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
1 - Ginsters pies
When out and about they can't be beaten... (unless you have a really big whisk!)

2 - Loo paper
Errr...

3 - Mountain Hardware Below Zero down jacket
Keeps my body and head warm, is waterproof and has kept me warm overnight in the cold without a sleeping bag, tarp, bivvy or anything else.

1000000 - Those flamingo tent pegs I looked at earlier.
Errr.... how lame are those things?!?

1000001 - The cheap knife, fork and spoon sets that bend in the wind.
Utterly useless, the knife couldn't cut butter, the fork wouldn't stick in marshmallow and the whole set doesn't clip together well enough.

1000002 - camo cream
So you think you're Rambo do ya?!

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
#1 Mora knife, red handled $9 USD. I have several scattered about my kits. They are wickedly sharp, throw a good spark and I don't mourn losing or destroying one like the countless $100 pretenders to it's position on my neck sheath. #2 Wiggy sleeping bag system. The mans abrasive with his competitors and the bags lack some refinements in construction found in others. The garantee is incredible as is performance when soaking wet. Lamilite is incredible . #3 Filson Jacket. Woolrich, Pendleton, Lands End and L.L. Bean were names that once meant something. Now they have stuff made in Red Chinese sweatshops. Filson is still 100% american made and lives up to it's slogan "Might as well have the best." When I put it on my signed photo of His Holyness the Dalai Lama smiles.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
1/Pro-boot desert boots (I sweat a fair bit :roll: , and they keep my feet comfortable & dry every day)

2/flectarn trousers comfy comfy comfy (jeans are overrated IMO, for every day wear)

3/3" opinel knife (replaced a sheffield lambsfoot that I had kept in my pocket for 16 or 17 years and had been sharpened so much the point of the blade wuddent goe inside the handle any more and kept stabbing me all by itself :roll: ) I've had it several months, but I liked it a lot straight away, strong classy pocket sized, strops nicely to a razer edge. :wink:

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Squidders said:
The cheap knife, fork and spoon sets that bend in the wind.

:rolmao: I know the ones!

1. WS micarta Woodlore (Well it was, i haven't given my Bison Bushcraft a go yet as weather/work has got in the way)

2. Firesteel

3. Hennessey (very comfortable, for my next trip :wink: )

Guys, you haven't even seen useless, you have no IDEA, unless you have seen the Marks & Spencer "Field master"

It is a very heavy bit of metal with a fold out compass (where north seems to go round and round and round), a whistle (that doesnt make much noise), a red LED light (that has run out of batteries, and i havent even used it), and a magnifying glass (which is rubbish)

:shock:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
1. Knife

2. Cooking pot or metal mug

3. Woolly hat

Everything else you can make, find in nature or improvise. (and yes I know you can those too, but its easier to have metal)

Back to basics = spend your money on doing!

BrutonW

Jun 16, 2004
Top 5:

Frosts Mora knife

58 pattern basha-bombproof

Maglite

Land Rover Defender

Ray Mears Essential Bushcraft

Will

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
Ummmm...

1) Berghaus Vulcan. (a bergen)
2) Hilleberg Tarp 10 XP (a basha)
3) Lowe Alpine Mountain Cap (a silly-looking but cosy hat)

4) Tikka Plus (headtorch)
5) Kelly Kettle (errr...a kettle)
6) North Face Neck Gaiter (scarf)
7) Weber Smokey Joe (portable kettle BBQ)

GrahamD

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 2, 2004
Sussex
You've all got no idea how much agony I've gone through trying to get a top three.. However, here goes.

1. Tilley Hat
2. Northern Lights candle
3. Kelly Kettle

4th and 5th and 6th deserve mentions - Leica Bins, Leatherman Super tool and Turboflame :p :p

Most useless kit;

1. Mini triangular stools whose legs sink in the mud
2. Fleece Sleeping bag inner liner - never used.

Graham.

dchinell

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2004
Sarasota, Florida, USA
Best three in terms of impressing me with performance:

1. Silnylon tarp
2. Thinsulate poncho liner
3. Mini-Trangia cookset

Best three in terms of keeping me well:

1. SAK Trailmaster
2. DOAN's Mag Fire Starter
3. Heavy-duty trash bags

Best three water purification systems:

1. Aqua Mira
2. Potable Aqua
3. Polar Pure

Best three knives:

1. Fallkniven F1
2. Benchmade Griptilian

No. I have to stop myself. It never ends. I'm not aquiring the bushcraft/survival gear I need, I'm just collecting it.

Bear

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE