Top 5 Knots?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Think I need to learn the fisherman's judging by the recs. Anyone want to update the tally for each knot?? My internet is slow today (and I'm at work) or I'd do it.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
On an aside, is there one good knot book that us novices shouldn't be without? Nothing hugely expensive but a good tutorial book giving the most usable knots in general life and with clear instructions/drawings? I mean if someone comes back with a £30 hardback tome I'd probably forget it and get another stove instead!! :D

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
The overhand knot is very useful - a temporary hold on something while you fasten it in place, the start of a reef knot, or for whipping - (forget fancy whipping patterns - just tie a series of overhand knots).

One knot not mentioned so far is the tape or webbing knot. I learnt this back when you needed to make up your own climbing slings.

Basically you make a loose overhand knot in one end of the tape. Then take the other end and feed it back through the overhand knot, keeping the tape faces flat together, no twists. When you have gone all the way through, work the knot tight without letting the tapes get twisted.

This knot can creep so it needs checking now and then. Unlike most other knots, it preserves the strength of the webbing as any pull is evenly distributed.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
One knot not mentioned so far is the tape or webbing knot. I learnt this back when you needed to make up your own climbing slings.

Only if you want to make them permanent! I tied one in my hammock rope (which is a flattened hollow braid) - ended up cutting it as it wouldn't budge. Managed to undo another one by soaking it in water but once I'd got it apart it was still dry in the middle

On an aside, is there one good knot book that us novices shouldn't be without? Nothing hugely expensive but a good tutorial book giving the most usable knots in general life and with clear instructions/drawings? I mean if someone comes back with a £30 hardback tome I'd probably forget it and get another stove instead!! :D

I've got the Geoffrey Budworth "Guide to knots" (got it free from Freegle!) - very clear illustrations although a lot of the knots in there are marked by different names. For example, what some people call the diamond knot (useful for soft shackle ends) he calls the knife lanyard.

I've been told there are scanned pdf copies of ABOK on the web but it's not really a beginners guide (and one shouldn't advocate piracy)

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham

To be honest, youtube. I have yet to find the perfect book. I was taught in person in the cubs and scouts. Once you understand the basics the books tend to make more sense. That said a lot of the ones mentioned would not be in a book you could buy, so better off going to youtube.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
I must say the taut line hitch is one of the most useful things I know how to do! ANything from securing kit to backpack or cinching down a length of rolled material for storage.

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
You could narrow it down to 3 ( a bend, a hitch and a knot), but examples like the Evenk and the Cawley are so handy it's difficult not to include them. I can only honestly get it down to 6.
1, Evenk slippery hitch
2, Bowline (the best all round knot ever IMO)
3, Round turn and two half hitches or Clove hitch
4, Sheet Bend
5, Cawley adjustable hitch
[6], Figure of eight knot

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE