toothpick holder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Other than a few woodspirits here and there, I don't see much figure carving here. I'd love to see more figure carving at BCUK. They are a lot of fun to carve and not as difficult as some folks might think. It's a grand outdoor tradition, from Boyscout neckerchief slides to tribal art. A good place to start is looking on youtube. Gene Messer has a TON of videos showing how to carve and paint simple figures from basswood. And he does 98% of his carving with a small carving knife. This page has links to his videos. A small chunk of basswood or similar carving wood and a $20 knife will do the job. Good campfire carving project.

One style I like is anri woodcarvings. Anri was founded in 1912 and sold carvings from local artisans in the Groden Valley of Italy. You can find a lot of their vintage carvings on ebay, from bottle stoppers to corkscrews. Most are fairly reasonablly priced. They are fun to copy and put your own twist on the design.

This is a toothpick holder I did based on an anri carving I picked up at an antique sale. Kinda shows the whimsical nature of anri carvings.

Bluemerle

Nomad
Nov 6, 2010
Essex
A great little carving Hoodoo. There doesnt seem to be the same tradition for this style of carving in the UK. Not sure why, i wonder if its something to do with the anti sharp things campaign that seems to plague us in this country.

I have found some great forums and bloggs that i look in on from USA for inspiration. I cannot imagine a situation in this country where groups meet up in local Church halls and Community centres, get out their knives and spend a happy couple of hours carving!!!!!!!!!

I am a complete novice to this style, but it is one of my to do projects.

I suspect somebody will be along in a minute and tell me there are clubs all over the place lol:lmao:

stekker

Forager
Aug 21, 2009
holland
When i saw this toothpick holder it made me smile.
Although it's humorous, it's an useful item.

Theo.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE