Tom Brown Tracker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
9458.jpg

Might not want to use one but it would like really nice on the shelf.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
Actually, there is a great use for the TBT. They weigh so much that they make an excellent anchor for a small boat, under 14ft or a canoe. They are usually as sharp as any butter knife you may own and they are not easy to make any sharper.

I think it was an experiment by Tom B to see how many people would buy it if his name was on it.

I actually got a chance to handle a few of these knives on some courses and they are really ackward in every way. Dull and impossible to sharpen with less than a belt sander. The second guy showed up with one, carried it a day and bought a Mora Clipper from the school and hid the TBT in his pack. I wouldn't want one even on the shelf.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I used one to hunt down benichio delboy eltorro, he had smooth sole shoes on which made it esier, as no other plum would wear them. In the end it Bevan a flint napped blade which unsurprisingly broke, then we went for ben and jerries.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
Fantasy bushcraft perhaps? Klingon toothpick? How about Grylls Gone Wild? umm, Darth Vaders razor? Pimp Slayer? Pick one only :)

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
There are a few people that through some sheer persistance have managed to actually do some things with the TBT. It would take some persistance though. It is very awkward to handle, super heavy and not at all easy to cut things with. Whatever steel they are made from seems to easily dull to a round edge and won't sharpen on anything less than a diamond and a lot of effort. I admire the people that are determined to make use of the knife, I just can't understand why anyone would. It is severe compromise on all counts.

Some folks say that any knife that cuts is a good knife. The 2 TBT's that I have handled would not cut, they had to be used to chop, awkwardly. They thus do not qualify for the term "good". Cheers!!

BTW, is that a pic of the Dumbasscuss steel modeL??

Last edited:

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
The pic of that knife made me actually laugh out loud..... I suppose it could be used as an emergency paddle for the raft you've just made using your Mora !!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE