Today's Adder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Can't find the relevant thread, sorry.:rolleyes:

My dog found this one.:eek: Luckily he was very unsure about it.

I couldn't manage a better picture as the dog moved in when I did.

P7240001.jpg

EDIT: Having seen the picture, I now believe that it's a grass snake, not an adder.:eek: :eek:

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
You didn't fancy catching, skining and eating it then?
We get quite a few down here, they go in the ponds after the fish and frogs.

My main concern was stopping the dog from getting bitten.

Even though it was a grass snake, if I'd picked it up it would have sent the wrong message to the dog.

Anyway, I like to see them in their natural habitat and I wasn't hungry.:)

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Yeah definately a grass snake, hehe

If you picked it up it probably would have 'icked' you, fould smelling voiding, which trust me can linger if it has skin contact. Linger for a good few days if you cant scrubb it off right away!

But, you guys know all uk reptiles are protected from killing and injuring right...?

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
If you dont wish to have them in your pond because you think they will reduce the number of frogs, it might be worth bearing in mind that beind reptiles they have a very effcient (or slow depending on your point of view) metabolism and one frog will last a grass snake a long time several weks most likely. You would have to have a huge grass snake population to make any dent on even a relatively 'small' population of frogs.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
The white (most likely yellow) is the band or coller that is behind the head and is one of the methods of identifying it as a grass snake. They are pritty obviouse and one of the reasons the two snakes in the UK are quite hard to get confused.

Yes it is indeed a Grass snake, a lovely photo of one as well.
The thing sometimes get people confused between the two are the black bands on the grass snakes back, adders have more of a zig zag banding on their back.
Grass snakes are totally harmless to humans and are rare fanged colubrids that do indeed feed on frogs but as allready said a frog would last it a very very long time.
So your dog was quite safe.
It is encouraging to know that your dog was wary but if it ever does get bit by an adder rest assured that most vets have antibiotics in storage and are well equipped to deal with adder bites. Also even in dogs adder bites will not neccesarily have a hugely negative effect, i once new a wolf that was bitten by a rattle snake and it didnt even get antibiotic treatment and recovered in a week and rattlesnake bites are much more potent, still allways take the dog to the vets just to be on the safe side.
There i have said my peice haha

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Great pictures, I tend to find the adders slither off before I can get my camera out.

On the other hand, we have loads of slowworms that aren't camera shy!

slowworms.jpg

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
thats a good sized grass snake, i usually only find small ones.
i remember when my jack russel was bitten by an adder, it was horrible as her back legs were paralised and swolen for days and even for her to moved looked like agony. its strange that apparently 70% of adder bites are dry (dont inject venom) i guess little elsa was in the unlucky 30%. ths was 5 years ago and since shes made a full recovery :)
still snakes are one of the most facinating and beautiful animals on the planet.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Great pictures, I tend to find the adders slither off before I can get my camera out.
On the other hand, we have loads of slowworms that aren't camera shy!

slowworms.jpg

I usually get them before they have warmed up properly.;)

Great picture of the slowworms, I see very few of them round here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE