Today we had to say good bye to our old dog.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Bad news man. When the grief lifts a bit its some consololation knowing he led a good life and was loved.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Very sorry for your trouble mate - there's no good way to die for a dog, but there are many bad ways; you can only console yourselves with the thought that you shared a good life with him.

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
Sorry for your loss, I have three old rescue labs all over the age of seven, one is ten and the oldest eleven. Already lost one lab a few years ago and not looking forward to seeing the rest depart. Never get easy.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Sincere condolences at this sad time, you have lost a part of your family and life, there is nothing like our dogs, they have better attributes than most people.

These words have been of some comfort to me when i have been in your position.

The best friend a man has in the world may turn against him and become his enemy. His son or daughter that he has reared with loving care may prove ungrateful. Those who are nearest and dearest to us, those whom we trust with our happiness and our good name may become traitors to their faith. The money that a man has, he may lose. It flies away from him, perhaps when he needs it most. A man's reputation may be sacrificed in a moment of ill-considered action. The people who are prone to fall on their knees to do us honor when success is with us, may be the first to throw the stone of malice when failure settles its cloud upon our heads.
The one absolutely unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him, the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous is his dog. A man's dog stands by him in prosperity and in poverty, in health and in sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground, where the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely, if only he may be near his master's side. He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer. He will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounters with the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince. When all other friends desert, he remains. When riches take wings, and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens.
If fortune drives the master forth, an outcast in the world, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege than that of accompanying him, to guard him against danger, to fight against his enemies. And when the last scene of all comes, and death takes his master in its embrace and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there by the graveside will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws, his eyes sad, but open in alert watchfulness, faithful and true even in death.

George Graham Vest - c. 1855

stonehippo

Forager
May 15, 2011
Birmingham
Sorry to hear that. My old greyhound Sean is looking increasingly doddery, so at some point we will have to make a decision. But he still enjoys life, so long may that continue. I am not a religious man, but one of the nicest prayers I have heard goes as follows:
"Please God, make me the man my dog thinks I am"

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Sorry for your loss, I have three old rescue labs all over the age of seven, one is ten and the oldest eleven. Already lost one lab a few years ago and not looking forward to seeing the rest depart. Never get easy.

The rescue home were not shore if he was 4 or 5 when we got him, so he made 18 or possibly 19. Paddy (our other dog) was ok yesterday but today hes not himself.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE