To remove a tick...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Interesting instrument. I didnt think removing ticks was such an issue as presented though. Bitta surgical spirit and some tweezers does the trick.

I thought I had lyme disease once, turned out it was glandular fever.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
sharp88 said:
Interesting instrument. I didnt think removing ticks was such an issue as presented though. Bitta surgical spirit and some tweezers does the trick.

I thought I had lyme disease once, turned out it was glandular fever.
The problem with alcohol, burning or covering with petroleum jelly is that it makes the tick remove itself. When it removes itself it throws up and basically injects some fluid into you therefore passing on any infection it is carrying.Removal by the reccomended method removes the tick before it regurgitates so is a lot less likely to pass on infection.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Just get it by the head with a pair or tweasers and gently pull it out :tapedshut .

I got one of the b*ggers on my gut when I was walkin up in the hills in Lewis.

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
The O'TOM remover has been dead handy for getting them off my dogs.
I also read somewhere that in a fix you can use a piece of cotton with an over and under knot carefully placed over the tick against your skin and just gently lift him off.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
qweeg500 said:
The O'TOM remover has been dead handy for getting them off my dogs.
I also read somewhere that in a fix you can use a piece of cotton with an over and under knot carefully placed over the tick against your skin and just gently lift him off.
Remember to twist in one direction as you pull though!
The mouth parts have sticky out bits, twisting is important to sort of wrap them round the main spikey bit, picture a piece of frayed cotton you can twist it to thread through a needle.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Q: What to do when the blighters attack those areas you can’t reach.
A: Find an accommodating Highland barmaid!

Cheers

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I don't ever get bitten by ticks, for whatever reason. Maybe I have icky blood... then again, midges love me. Odd.
Personally whenever I've removed ticks from cats or people, I've used a cigarette... guess I shouldn't any more...

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Draven said:
I don't ever get bitten by ticks, for whatever reason. Maybe I have icky blood... then again, midges love me. Odd.
Personally whenever I've removed ticks from cats or people, I've used a cigarette... guess I shouldn't any more...

Absolutely not.

Pull them out with a tick remover, tweezers or something you can improvise and use like tweezers.

It's important to get them out as soon as you can but waiting until you get home (providing it's the same day of course) is okay. Better to wait and remove them properly than to risk getting infected.

http://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/information/tick_removal.htm
http://www.lyme.org/ticks/removal.html

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I use one of these tools.. Bout £1.00 and it lives in my 1st aid kit.

COG0015.jpg

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Just want to say that I have had to use a tick remover quite a few times. It is one from the vets as well. I was discussing this with one of the traders at the Wilderness Gathering (cannot remember the name but he was the one who did all the skinning) and as he advised that as a matter of course once you had taken the tick out (twist and pull) is to put the tick into some candle wax or something similar. It kills the tick but retains it in one piece if neded. He said that a sign of Lymes disease is a Bulls eye type mark appearing around the bite area and if this occured then the hospital would then be able to use the tick (encased in wax) to help with a cure.

Somebody please advise me if I am wrong on this.

The last tick I got a the Wilderness Gathering is still in wax. My daughter has been looking at it under a magnifying glass. Great stuff.

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
Seoras said:
Just want to say that I have had to use a tick remover quite a few times. It is one from the vets as well. I was discussing this with one of the traders at the Wilderness Gathering (cannot remember the name but he was the one who did all the skinning) and as he advised that as a matter of course once you had taken the tick out (twist and pull) is to put the tick into some candle wax or something similar. It kills the tick but retains it in one piece if neded. He said that a sign of Lymes disease is a Bulls eye type mark appearing around the bite area and if this occured then the hospital would then be able to use the tick (encased in wax) to help with a cure.

Somebody please advise me if I am wrong on this.

The last tick I got a the Wilderness Gathering is still in wax. My daughter has been looking at it under a magnifying glass. Great stuff.

Hmmm…..suspect! :confused:

If you get brought into hospital with a gun shot they don’t ask to see who shot you before they treat you. Lyme disease (no s ) has an antibiotic treatment irrespective of what tick gave it to you.
It is a good idea to save ticks that bite you simply to help in gathering scientific info as to which species are involved in vectoring should you contract the disease.
If you do get bitten and you do develop the expanding red ring, or any similar marks, one thing to do is take a photo as the visible symptoms may disappear and not all doctors are clued up on the disease should later symptoms occur.

The most important thing to remember though is that the sooner you remove the tick the less chance you have of getting the disease! It is true that you don’t want to squeeze it if you can help it so grasp the tick as close to the skin as possible with whatever device, ( beware taking advice from sites trying to sell you something) fine tweezers being great, and pull it out ASAP. The few times I’ve been bitten (I’m usually pretty careful not to get them on me i.e. I look for them and brush myself off after thrashing through vegetation) I have always got my finger nails down to the head and yanked them out there and then and the few times the head has broken off I’ve pulled that out later with the tweezers. Its head isn’t going to be injecting you with anything without its body while you get home and get out the disinfectant and the tweezers.

Ticks are gross :eek: ; they disgust me so much that I have developed a healthy paranoia and a careful policy of inspection, as I said, after brushing through plants and trees in areas I know they exist and indeed I haven’t been bitten by one for years now – I find them all first. Tuck trousers in socks, keep t-shirt in trousers make friends walk through first :lmao: etc. You shouldn’t get bitten if you’re careful. ;)

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Maybe it is suspect maybe it is not.

There is so much conflicting information out there. This thread already has a link that advises you to keep the tick in sealed container, while other organisations say not to bother as there are no reliable tests in the UK for this.

I will err on the side of caution though and keep the little buggers in wax for a period before binning them. In my line of work I am guaranteed to get bitten from time to time, however I do check myself each day for the little devils.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Do you think a tool similar to the 'root stripper' be carved in the bush to function as the O'Tom does?

Or is there another technique if caught out without a tick remover.

Mr_Rimps

Forager
Aug 13, 2006
Hampshire
Good find Andy. Well done. I'll be trying that out in the summer no doubt.

I've heard of Lymes disease but didn't realise paralysis was also on the tick menu :eek:

Andy

Nov 7, 2006
weymouth
Hi, I am new to this site and this is my first post, I experienced ticks for the first time this summer. 4 of us were covered with them, some in the worst possible place for a male ;)
Next time I camped in the same place I made sure I had eaten lots of garlic and wore deet, every tick that landed on me soon jumped off.

With respect to the infestation, the woods I use never usually have them but the farmer instructed someone to cull the deer, it was only after the culling that the woods became infected, so much so that the surrounding fields that are used for horses also became infected. They soon vanished though and have not re-appeared like they usually do at the end of the summer.

Eat lots of Garlic, or I have also found that the odourless capsules work as well - even for the majority of biting insects. I am one of those people that the bitey things like to feed off so I eat garlic with every meal now and suffer no more.

Cheers - the info on this site is fantastic everyone.

Lea

CamperPete

Oct 2, 2006
Blackpool, Lancs
Strangely enough I received a small parcel through the post last Saturday.

The missus went mad shouting she's sick of me wasting money on even more outdoor stuff BUT I hadn't ordered anything :confused: ..........well, this week at least :D

Anyway, opened it up and it seems I'd won a competition from the web (can't remember when I'd entered it) and had won a TICK REMOVER!!!!!!

Nifty little tool (never thought of buying one), you just clamp the ends over the tick, gentley twist one way and then the other and then pull at an angle to get the blighter out.

Not had chance to test it yet............but may take the missus a walk through the woods as bait!!!! :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE