To Hot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

roibica

Apr 8, 2009
Bucharest
Five or six years ago in Bucharest, Romania there were 22 - 25 degress in May, now we have 29 - 30 degrees in the same month. I can help wonder what temperatures we will have in 5 years. And this is just my country, what will it happen with Africa, Australia, Antartica ?

The world around us is changeing and moust of the people are to busy )constructing new buildings, malls, hipermarkets, factorys, weppons ... etc ...) to notice.

Don't ask me why did I write this Thread, I just need to say this stuff somewhere, and this forum seems the right place :)

if it is not an appropriate thread, I ask a moderator delete it.

Thanks

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
The world around us is changeing and moust of the people are to busy )constructing new buildings, malls, hipermarkets, factorys, weppons ... etc ...) to notice.

I think most people do notice but for whatever reasons feel they are merely attempting to stay afloat. I work for a small business and we are forced to stay open 7 days a week, otherwise the customers go elsewhere and we lose the customers and we can not afford to lose customers, else we go out of business.

I honestly try to talk people out of buying things they do not need. Manufacturers of goods try very hard to impress upon consumers what it is exactly that the consumer "needs". People come in and ask for a product with feature X. They have no idea what feature X is or why exactly they need it but they are "educated consumers" which means they read the manufacturer's sales catalog or website.

In the long run, I think human beings are a little full of themselves. I don't think mother nature gives a darn, one way or another, if we live to see the year 10,000AD or not. 10,000 years is only a long time to people.

I have much respect for SOPWAMTOS. This is a very obscure reference to a bicycle industry related thing. SOPWAMTOS stands for: Society Of People Who Actually Make Thier Own ...err.. Stuff. I see much of sopwamtos here on BCUK and I think that is part of the solution; making things yourself.

I think bushcraft in general is part of the solution. So maybe as a way to keep this a positive thread, how about some ideas on how to get friends and family interested in bushcraft? Not with preachy attitudes(that never seems to work) but by showing others the fun parts and the ethics come of their own. I hope this is not too sappy for you roibica or lost in traslation. I kind of just wanted to say hello to someone in Romania, hi:)

roibica

Apr 8, 2009
Bucharest
Hi, there is no problem with the translation :)

I also think that bushcraft is a part of the solution but it's hard to get family and friends interested in bushcraft. When I ask my wife if she wants to get out there with me, she will ask at what hotel will we stay or what if it rains .... and the answer is .. well .. you will get wet and you will dry :p:)), so are friends nobody wants to stay in a hammock or in a tent. how can you show someone the fun parts when you can't even get him out there

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
how can you show someone the fun parts when you can't even get him out there

I'm not entirely sure but it's a nut I too am trying to crack. I have friends who often mention they are interested in an activity only to back out when presented with the oppurtunity, others that could care less. At some point I may resort to trickery. For example, there is a party coming up and I'm going to try and prepare dandelion fritters and serve them with other less wild fried treats, and only tell em' after they have eaten. I suppose this is more about self-entertainment, but hey someone has to make me chuckle:lmao:

I read here somewhere about somebody who would fake a power outage to get the family into bushcraft mode. That's my kind of action. If you can't convert them, trick them. My mind reverts to military tactics; a flanking maneuver of some sort may be the thing. Again, not entirely sure how to apply but would like to hear how others have tried, success story or no.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE