"To ask a stupid question"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GlenM

Forager
Jan 11, 2006
Cornwall
Iv'e found myself constantly visiting the BC.UK site for quite some time now and to say its totally captivating is an understatement. The only problem i have is a horrifying dread of asking a stupid question or maybe giving a undesirable piece of advise that at the time seemed ok. The amount of completely sorted people that regularly use the site astounds me, and everyone seems to know what to do, at the right time and in the correct place. Maybe i'm just being insecure, or maybe i lack some confidence but those things normally dont affect me. Am i alone in thinking this? or am i getting too deep about it all?. Bushcraft and nature in general holds limitless joy for me and as i get older i seem to get more absessive about it. Luckily my wife understands, even when the unexplained packages arrive in the post but i am totally under the spell of all of it. Thoughts ladies and gentlemen please !!!! I need some therapy.

Reactions: sam_acw

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
You're getting way to deep! hehehe

For me, this bushcraft/camping/survival thing is something I know i'm going to be doing for as long as i'm able to breathe fresh air... I'm happy not knowing some things because I have nothing but time to get to know them.

I wouldn't worry about people here knowing what to do... we're all experts online don'cha know :lmao:

"There are no stupid questions but there are an awful lot of inquisitive idiots" - I don't know who said it but it always made me laugh... we're all idiots when it comes down to it... trying to find our way. Some seek older methods and technology as a path while others try to incorporate the fully modern in to their outdoor life.

I spend loads of time out and about but i'm still fairly new to "bushcraft" and I still ask loads of stupid questions because I can. The great thing about this forum is that we nearly all give what knowledge we have freely - albeit some times rather bluntly :D

GlenM

Forager
Jan 11, 2006
Cornwall
Thanks for that sqidders, i'm not a hopeless romantic about this but it really bothers me and normally i'm so laid back about stuff, wierd , Now that iv'e aired my dirty laundry i feel somewhat happier, cheers mate Glen. :)

GlenM

Forager
Jan 11, 2006
Cornwall
Hello mike, good to hear from you again. Iv'e been meaning to tell you that i got a 40th birthday knife off martin cole. Very nice it is too, he's a true craftsman and should get a lot more recognition for his work. I'm hoping to get to the easter moot in april but the wife is due to calf down in late april so unless i can get a reception on me phone it might prove to be difficult.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I too get a bit nervous about asking stupid questions, or giving wrong advice. So I don't think you are being silly. Nearly every member here is really polite and don't seem to mind answering basic questions. I can only think one member that regulary replies "well i have seen this before, didn't you do a search" which does then gets ignored, and question answered anyway.

There was a thread back in dec called 'I know I'm an idiot but...' where everyone seem to get all those numpty questions off their chest. I can diffantly see that thread been re-awakened from time to time.

If you give advice thats based on experience, it can't be wrong, along as you give considerations to safety. The only subject I know anything about is fungi. Which is subject filled with conflicting advice on safety and conservation. So the best I can do is help people make informed decisions.

I for one is not someone I would discribe as competely sorted. I stress I about what I post, and I have never started a single thread. I have various social phobias and I have had therapy. :confused:

leon-1

Glen everyone starts somewhere and if we don't ask questions we don't learn. Better to ask really, even if it is something that has been covered many times someone will always try to give an answer that is as accurate as they can give.

Nobody is an expert, some just know a little more than others:)

mikesknives

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2005
cornwall
Hi Glen

Your right about Martyn's work it's always crisp and well executed but he's been making for about ten years so he's had lots of practice :D

He has some Nessmuk blanks I keep telling him to finish as well, I think I might get one for myself anyway!

On a seperate note the guys from Footsteps of Discovery are having a meet at Grampound road. Thats about twenty minutes from you and I know theres a good signal as it's where I live so lucky me :lmao: .

I think theres a thread somewhere I'll see if I can find it.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
GlenM said:
Iv'e found myself constantly visiting the BC.UK site for quite some time now and to say its totally captivating is an understatement. The only problem i have is a horrifying dread of asking a stupid question or maybe giving a undesirable piece of advise that at the time seemed ok. The amount of completely sorted people that regularly use the site astounds me, and everyone seems to know what to do, at the right time and in the correct place. Maybe i'm just being insecure, or maybe i lack some confidence but those things normally dont affect me. Am i alone in thinking this?.

xylaria said:
I too get a bit nervous about asking stupid questions, or giving wrong advice. So I don't think you are being silly. Nearly every member here is really polite and don't seem to mind answering basic questions. I can only think one member that regulary replies "well i have seen this before, didn't you do a search" which does then gets ignored, and question answered anyway.

There was a thread back in dec called 'I know I'm an idiot but...' where everyone seem to get all those numpty questions off their chest. I can diffantly see that thread been re-awakened from time to time.

If you give advice thats based on experience, it can't be wrong, along as you give considerations to safety. The only subject I know anything about is fungi. Which is subject filled with conflicting advice on safety and conservation. So the best I can do is help people make informed decisions.

I for one is not someone I would discribe as competely sorted. I stress I about what I post, and I have never started a single thread. I have various social phobias and I have had therapy. :confused:

Guys, you‘re not alone, I think that we all feel the same way from time to time, I know I do :D I think that all the questions people have should be asked, there’s often new stuff that comes out of it that make sit worth the time for those asking and those replying to the questions. I would say though that it’s good to do a search and have a look around first, there’s lots of questions that have been asked already and had fantastic answers and some of them may cover what you have as a question.

If it’s a juggle between posting a question and not posting then post, it’s better to get pointed in the right direction than stumble along when there’s plenty of people here that are more than willing to help out.

I’ve thought a few times about having a forum just for questions that people feel are silly, rather like the thread you mention. As I said before, there’s lots of people that feel the same way and it’s only natural when you’re trying to learn about a subject you’re not familiar with and that’s an easy situation to be in with the plethora of different subjects that are covered by the term bushcraft.

Stick with it guys, there’s plenty that you know and will answer for people that post questions they feel silly about :D

Boosh

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2007
The New Forest
Great thread Glen, and probably one that many have wanted to post before but felt stupid doing it! :D

From my personal experience, whether it be about bushcraft or any other subject on this earth, asking the stupid questions can mean the difference between someone taking that first step towards knowledge and advancement in that area.......or missing out on it altogether out of sheer embarrassment and lack of confidence to ask the question. That is so sad sometimes.

I was like this throughout my earlier years, and i missed out on lots because of it. Not any more, i usualy start my query with "This might sound like a stupid question but....". Nine times out of ten i get the reply back that it was'nt actualy a stupid question after all! If you really don't know something, it's not a stupid question and one that could even save your life in bushrcraft. Is it a stupid question whether or not someone should cut away from them with a knife? Or "Do i really need to bother learning how to make a fire if i'm only doing an overnighter?" Basic questions to most here, but certainly not stupid.

Stupidity can often come from Not asking.

To lessen the feeling of asking stupid or obvious questions, i'd become best friends with the search facility up there at the top of the page. Pretty much most bushcraft subjects will have been covered at some point and will be available to find.

Also, if it can be a bit daunting embarrassing asking a stupid question in front of a load of strangers.......ask one instead by way of private message. Once you've been here even a little while it's not hard to see who would be worth talking to to gain a bit of knowledge. Any bushcrafter worth his salt i think will always be willing to help and realise that they were once in your shoes, and in fact will always be learning themselves.

In my limited experience, i've found it's not always the people with the most and best toys that know the most either. (Maybe we can discount Mr Mears slightly on that one :) I see many pictures of people with the most beautiful knives and other bushcrafty gear, yet i wonder if they've actualy ever been used! I felt that on here when i first lurked around.

You could go out and blow a grand today on the best gear, but you'd still have no more knowledge than you do today. You still need to ask!

So i'd say, ask away Glen. You certainly won't be the first, or the last either. In fact, i always have several "stupid questions" simmering at any one point" :D

Boosh.

Bigman

Life Member
May 28, 2006
Newton Abbot, Devon.
I don't think any question is a stupid question because if you don't ask then you won't find out.

I have used the search facility on here several times and try to carefully consider my question because not all questions can be answered in previous posts.

I have been a member of bcuk for nearly a year now and my knowledge now is a lot greater than when I first joined plus I have bought several pieces of kit that I would never had dreamt of buying if it wasn't through the advice from the more experienced members of bcuk.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yeah I agree, no stupid questions, and even if it's been asked before it doesn't matter because there's always someone else who might have a different answer, sometimes a fuller one or a different reasoning; it's all good.
Besides, it's relevant to the people who are posting and reading now.
That said, it can also be a good excuse to bring back up an information rich old thread and let it see the light of day.

I know I struggle with the search function, and I remember a lot of the threads I'm looking for :eek:

New threads are generally well read, sometimes folks don't feel quite confident enough to answer, sure that someone else will give the information they have. Go ahead, maybe they won't.......it's just a conversation :D

atb,
Toddy

mikesknives

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2005
cornwall
Do you think it's that old threads can be very long and people don't try and wade through 20 odd pages to get to the answer they want?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sometimes, but mostly I think it's that the conversation in new threads is fresh; folks ask the question theyr're thinking about now, of the people they know are are visiting the forum now.
For those who've been on for a while though it can feel a bit awkward giving the same information, again; a bit too much like hearing the sound of your own voice :rolleyes: It ought not really though, it's a different conversation and the information is still valid.

cheers,
Toddy

Boosh

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2007
The New Forest
mikesknives said:
Do you think it's that old threads can be very long and people don't try and wade through 20 odd pages to get to the answer they want?

Thats a good point there.

Some other forums that i belong to adopt the practice of clearing old threads and posts that are over a certain amount of months old. In some ways that is good, but then again you lose those invaluable threads posted by members years before.

I guess it would take a lot of work but having an archive of the best threads would be good, but have them seperate from the main forum. However then you have the issue of what are the best threads? What is usefull for some is often not for others. I think BCUK has is sorted. Yes there are a lot of pages to get through, but you pretty much know you'll find the answer here somewhere!

Boosh.

mikesknives

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2005
cornwall
Toddy said:
Sometimes, but mostly I think it's that the conversation in new threads is fresh; folks ask the question theyr're thinking about now, of the people they know are are visiting the forum now.
For those who've been on for a while though it can feel a bit awkward giving the same information, again; a bit too much like hearing the sound of your own voice :rolleyes: It ought not really though, it's a different conversation and the information is still valid.

cheers,
Toddy

The joys of being a tutor I suppose!

Bigman

Life Member
May 28, 2006
Newton Abbot, Devon.
I very rarely answer a question as I feel I may give either the wrong advice or incomplete advice hence I feel better to leave for someone else to answer who is more qualified/experienced than myself unless I am 100% sure it's correct.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE