Tips wanted on cooking venison

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Red Kite

Nomad
Oct 2, 2006
London UK
I have obtained a nice joint of venison for a meet this weekend.

All I've done in the past is to roast it in the oven at home, so any tips on the best way to cook it out in the woods would be welcome.

Stewart

Marinade it in red wine, salt and spices (pepper, rosemary, grains of paradise etc) then you can pit roast or pot roast it very easily, the extra soaking will have part pickled it and it will be tender and flaky and delicious. We do this at home and the end result is a bit like pastrami.

Red Kite

Nomad
Oct 2, 2006
London UK
Sounds really tasty Sally but as I'm not picking the meat up until tomorrow I wont have time for the marinade. But its one I'll try next time.

What sort of cooking time should I allow in a pit roast? Joint is about 3 Lbs

Stewart

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
Whenever I've marinated venison in alcohol It seems to dry it out too much. venison is a really lean meat and needs all the help it can get when cooking. I prefer to roast it quick and fast, or if I was on a campsite I would cut it into thinner steaks (like leg steaks) and roast them on sticks in the fire.

Edited to say I think you could butterfly the joint and roast it across 2 pairs of sticks - like the way you do the indian fish cooking (splitting the fish down the bone and spread it out). Butterflying is quite easy - just get the joint in front of you, and slice lengthways down about 1", then across in a sort of triangle. Then go in a bit and repeat. You end up with a large flat section like a load of toblerones in a row:

/\/\/\/\/\/\ - sort of :)

I have never tried pit-roasting or pot-roasting it on a fire however. I may need to invest in a good cast-iron pot and give it a go however :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Patrick M brought along a couple of venison joints to the last meet up we had at the Crannog. Typha had dug up a stash of ransom bulbs (wild garlic).
We sliced the venison very finely and I melted butter on the top of a griddle and quickly fried the roughly sliced up bulbs in it, then the venison was flash fried in the mildly oniony/ garlicky buttery juices. As fast as it was cooked it was eaten. Couldn't have been easier to do; no fussing with marinades or hours of roasting. We did the same with a pheasant and a hare and they were all eaten as soon as they came off the heat.

cheers,
Toddy

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
I have found that venison is really too lean to roast without some added fat.

I like to wrap it in bacon strips and cook very slowly to tenderize and add flavor to the meat. Many people say my venison is the best they ever had.

Edit to say: I have tried it Toddy's (Patrick's) way too and that is quite the treat!

Still adding fat with the butter.

Red Kite

Nomad
Oct 2, 2006
London UK
Thanks for all the ideas folks.

I pit roasted it in the end - after takingadvice from several people at the meet everyone had a different idea about how long it would take, so I settled on 3 hours and a bit.

Stones were heated for about 3 hours until red hot, then a large flat one placed in the pit, the venison (wrapped in foil - sorry all you purists) was placed on the stone and surrounded with the other stones. Potatoes were put in at the same time.

Once covered there was a gap of about 3 inches to the top of the pit - this ( I was reliably informed) would enhance the steaming effect.

The pit was then topped with small batons, and covered with spagnum moss. The whole lot was then covered over with the excavated earth and left.

Venison turnred out perfectly - i don't think its possible to overcook the meat using this method as the temperature drops away, slowing the cooking process.

The whole thing was served up with a crab apple and blackberry sauce - thanks to Lewis and Lloyd - and it dissapeared so fast I had to count my fingers at the end.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE