Tips for wilderness fishing (what's yours)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I'm away for the week from 19th July and fancy a spot of wilderness fishin' (like ya do) However, I'm not a fisherman and I have a 6 ft telescopic rod. Can anyone give me some tips for sea fishing, like what bait/lures/rigs to look for and make and where to fish with an amount of success :?:

I'm a total greenhorn at this fishing lark and have only ever done night lines in the past :shock:

J

JeremyH

Where is the wilderness that you will be fishing? Sea or freshwater?

Sea - you can use spoons ( silver spoon shaped spinners) feathers for Mackrel or red lures. Just keep them moving. Otherwise dig local bait - look for worm casts or use limpets (remove shell first of all) on hooks. If you are going for big stuff - catch small fish (mackrel etc) and chop it up and put it on a hook or if it is very small us it whole!

Freshwater normally requires permission - be careful most Lairds/landowners get most upset if you do not have it!!!!

And remember - it is always ...'THAT BIG!' :eek:):
jeremyh

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Top tip for wilderness fishing uk. make sure you have a rod licence, no matter how remote you think you are a water bailif WILL show up. :?:
good bait for sea fishing is a bit of mackrel skin. :)

GATOR

Dec 24, 2003
SW Florida, USA
My two best tips for your scenario are:

When you get there ask the locals!

When you get there, check out what the baitfish look like, match your bait and lures accordingly.

Bout as good as I can get wihtout knowing more. :eek:):

The most important thing is having fun. :chill:

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi Dave. I like sea fishing and normally use 13 foot beachcasters,but sometimes i also like to go light using a 6 foot tele rod whenever i,m abroad or in the north of Scotland. When using a tele rod i take a selection of different sized hooks and some ready made lure rigs, which you can buy in any tackle shop that sells sea fishing gear,for weights i take Arlesey bombs these weights are pear shape with a swivel fixed in the top,i take half and 1oz weights but check your rod as it will tell you the best casting weight for the rod,hook sizes i use 1 1/0 and 2/0 Aberdeens, this pattern of hook has a long shank which has two benefits 1.it helps aid unhooking 2.when using bigger baits the longer shank helps to stop it sliding back onto the bend thus masking the point.I fish from rocks and also from the beach,when fishing from rocks i use the lures with a single weight and just spin fish(basically cast out lure and then wind the lure back in at different speeds also try fishing at different depths to optimise your chances of catching). For beach i use bait and just cast into the surf, this is where the Arlesey comes into its own,it,s shape allows it to roll around in the surf thus adding life to your bait and covering a wider area so as to up the chance of hooking a fish.

One last thing remember that big hooks and big baits only catch big fish where as smaller hooks and smaller baits catches all sizes of fish.

I hope this helps

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

Put some straw in an old car tire. (inside) Lay the tire in a stream so it sinks to the bottom and wait 1 hour. There should be at least an eel or two inside it now. Never tried it though. :wink: :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE