Tiny spoon?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
I've made a few twig spoons recently... largely because twigs were all I had re raw materials, but also because the depth of grain you get in a twig is quite extraordinary compared with a larger piece of wood when making small spoons.

I wondered how small a spoon I could make from how small a twig, the result looks a like this:

20140515_171332_zps65onpoir.jpg

I'm quite sure I couldn't have made this without the blades I bought from Dave Budd, I'm also sure there are people on this forum capable of carving smaller and much more intricate spoons than this.

FWIW - that's the finish left by the blade... I've not sanded it yet.

Well worth doing, go on, carve a twig spoon - they're ace!

JonE

Forager
Apr 11, 2014
Oxfordshire
Very cool, I'm going to give it a go but I'm pretty sure I haven't got the patience or finesse for something that small and delicate.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

WoodsmanJim

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
Wirral
Very impressive. You must have some VERY sharp knives!

What knives did you use out of interest? Could you post a pic of them with the spoon for reference?
Jim

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
What is the snapped to finished ratio of spoons?

I have a feeling I'd snap far more than I'd complete.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Having the right tools is probably the key, I've made a few small spoons now and none of them took very long, this is the smallest by a long way - the knife/knives need to be good and sharp though. As they're so small you can use old seasoned twigs, there's no need to carve green and let it dry out. You're not removing much material, just split the stick in two, plane it smooth to the required thickness, I've found I break fewer of them if I shape the dish of the spoon first and then carve the underside, then the handle last.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's neat :D

The Wee MacFenna has bushcraft kit in small scale....show John Fenna this thread if he doesn't comment ?

cheers,
Toddy

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Adze - I feel I should make an apology to you, as it looks like I am indulging in "one-upmanship" by showing a tinier spoon. This was not my intention; I just wanted to share. I didn't even comment on your spoon, which is great (the finish is a lot better than mine)
So I'm sorry for the thread jack.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Very impressive. You must have some VERY sharp knives!

What knives did you use out of interest? Could you post a pic of them with the spoon for reference?
Jim

Blades by Dave Budd and handles by me. In common with most of the people here, I suspect, I have a sharpening fetish ;)

20140517_130104_zpsiosgrlth.jpg

20140517_130143_zpsicxclbia.jpg

Pics taken with a Samsung Galaxy S3 (GTi-9305 for the nerds)

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Adze - I feel I should make an apology to you, as it looks like I am indulging in "one-upmanship" by showing a tinier spoon. This was not my intention; I just wanted to share. I didn't even comment on your spoon, which is great (the finish is a lot better than mine)
So I'm sorry for the thread jack.

Not in the slightest - I'm not that thin skinned. Has given me a great idea for something else to carve for the boy's lego!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE