tinder prep

L

lee22

hello all just a quick question. found some horse shoe fungi at work this week so i wanna add some to my fire kit. whats the best way to prepare it. i know it has to be thoroughly dried out but ive been told that it helps to soak it in a potasium permanginate solution first...is this right/does it help
any advice is wellcome
lee

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hello Lee and welcome to the forum,
the easiest method of preparing amadou that I've ever seen, is to slice the trama layer away from the shell and the pore tubes and then just gently squeeze and stretch it out gradually thinner and thinner. Rub in a little wet ash from a fire and once dried, should be good to go. No need for extensive boiling or chemicals, just good old-fashioned skill of hand and common sense.
To ignite it, fluff up a little of the edge with a knife or flint blade and strike your spark to the fluff - it should prove ifficult to extinguish.

ATB

Ogri the trog

L

lee22

many thanks for the welcome. i shall 'have a play' as it were with some , luckly i have plenty so if i get it wrong ill keep trying
lee

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
www.bushcraftdays.com
Hello Lee and welcome to the forum,
the easiest method of preparing amadou that I've ever seen, is to slice the trama layer away from the shell and the pore tubes and then just gently squeeze and stretch it out gradually thinner and thinner. Rub in a little wet ash from a fire and once dried, should be good to go. No need for extensive boiling or chemicals, just good old-fashioned skill of hand and common sense.
To ignite it, fluff up a little of the edge with a knife or flint blade and strike your spark to the fluff - it should prove ifficult to extinguish.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Nice method Pete.

I will be trying this out.

Cheers

George

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
No worries Buddy,
I had tried the "Boiling in potash" methods and read about many other torturous means of getting amadou to a state where it would accept a spark. Stepping back, it was all just too much faff to be worthwhile - why not take along any modern fire starter if you were prepared to boil something for 24 hours eh?
I learnt it only last year at a well reknowned Bushy school and it just seemed right and certainly works for me. My only problem now if finding Horses Hoof anywhere local to here.

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE