tinder fungus

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bozle

Tenderfoot
Jun 19, 2006
Kent
Just a quick thought before bed

some fungus will rehydrate and get softer when soaked

birch polypore will and makes a rather good tinder.

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Try a rasp, sharp knife,or chisel to remove the hard tp surface, and then use needle point pliers to pull out the thread like filaments from the bottom this worked for me. I gave up on the Horse Hoof but a member from dpown the South kindly sent me a pile of Crampball which I dont think we get up in Scotland and it works really great In fact you can hardly put it out once lit.
Hope this suggestion is of help

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
I generally first cut the thing in half vertically so that I can see the layers.
Then using a sharp Mora knife and a Chest Lever grip, slice pieces off, rotating and flipping the fungus as you work untill you are left with the bit you need.

Stu

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
British Red said:
Try a potato peeler

Weird but effective

Red

Off to try that now. I got one of these a fortnight ago and have been wondering how to do this. I've tried several things so far and had little joy - was resigning myself to a very slow job...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE