Tinder Fungus? Identification Please & Tips

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Not sure if this should or elsewhere but hoping someone can help.

I cam across a lovely dead silver birch yesterday, bark a little holey and broken but pick it up and the centre falls out leaving me with lots of flakey bark. Nice.

Anyway, on one of the live silver birches near by I found this growing and was wondering if its tinder fungus?

If so can someone tell me what I need to do to it to make it usable? Last thing, is is poisonous, dont fancy handling it to make fires and then cook food if its gonna kill me lol

Sorry for the poor pics

IMAG0036.jpg

IMAG0037.jpg

Last edited:

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
it is birch polypore.

You can't make amadou with it, and isn't edible, but there is a long list of of what you can do with it. Use the search box on here and you know what I mean, you will find out more than I remember.

Last edited:

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
What she said :) It will hold and extend an ember though, but hard to ignite from dull sparks.

Other common name is Razer strop.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
I came across some polypore the other week when I was down in the Forest of Dean. I took a couple of decent bits for drying fishing flies as it's tremendously absorbent when it's damp.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Qweeg500

Well done!!!

Those look like horse hoof fungi or the devil's toenail as its also called.

I hope you collected some.

Liam

p.s.

if they have many different coloured layers when seen close up then they could be many zoned polypore but I think they're hoof.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Thanks guys, in that case for the moment I will leave it (cant see it going anywhere)

I only know birch polypore (birch omelettes I call them as that's how I recognise them), many zoned polypoyre and horse's hoof in a bushcraft sense.

The only other fungi I know (including Quorn) used to be delivered when I was a Chef, without the packaging I'd probably not recognise them in the cuds to be honest.

Liam

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
If you are a good artist then birch polypore is great for drawing pictures onto and then kept dried and varnished. The underside turns brown as you draw with a blunt sick. You can get amazing results if you have that talent.

And you never find anything like this by me...

DSCF1314.jpg

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
JD, earlier on in March this year I harvested some birch omelettes - just a few wee ones - from Craigie Hill Woods, Dalmeny near me.

Some of them were as big as dinner plates, I've never seen the likes before and had no idea artists could use them!!!

I'm not much of an artist these days to be fair, but I keep my hand in as I draw the dole at the moment...

Liam

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
JD, earlier on in March this year I harvested some birch omelettes - just a few wee ones - from Craigie Hill Woods, Dalmeny near me.

Some of them were as big as dinner plates, I've never seen the likes before and had no idea artists could use them!!!

I'm not much of an artist these days to be fair, but I keep my hand in as I draw the dole at the moment...

Liam

You can make great impressions on it too, like braken, veiny leaves as well as other objects. You should give it a go. Wrong time of year of course, but come the Autumn. I know someone who sold one for £25 on Ebay. Maybe a career in crazy polypore drawings right there :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE