Timex watches, any good these days?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've been having a sneaky look at a WS4 but haven't owned a Timex for about 25 years, are they any good these days or just cheap tat?

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I had a Timex Expedition, it fell apart in under a year, the hands literally fell off it, rendering it useless, which is also my experience of Timex Customer Care - useless

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I have about half a dozen and only one has let me down so far,the others have been some of the best watches I have owned.

havocsdad

Jun 10, 2010
dorset
Ive had an expedition for about 18months now , gets abused at work and in the woods, no problems todate but must admit the strap is either a little too tight or on the bigger hole is a little loose, but apart from that I'm pleased

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Had Expedition for years, fantastic watch and value. Better for night map reading than watches costing five times more; go buy one :)

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Got a Timex Reefgear in the US about 6-7 years ago. Never take it off. Despite having been a "Seiko" man for decades, this has been the best watch 1've owned. (never tested the 200 metre waterproofing though, but works fine at 30 metres..........)

jeffz

Forager
Apr 4, 2011
Surrey
Get a G-Shock or ProTrek: the tough-solar ones with radio-controlled synchronisation are incredible pieces of kit. Or go the other way, and get a Vostok Amphibia. You can get them for under £50; they're proofed to 200M, and automatic. Proper Soviet divers' watch.

I've talked to a few Timex-owners who're not pleased with how frail the Expeditions are.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Got a relatively cheap Expedition watch a year ago to replace the usual inexpensive Seiko self winding watches (which tend to lose time after a while). Been fine, although the strap was rubbish and needed to be replaced. My kids seem to think the 'Indigo' feature is cool as well...!

Frankly, if your in the great outdoors, there is no point spending a lot on something which is probably going to take a lot of knocks, but there is no point buying rubbish.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I've been having a sneaky look at a WS4 but haven't owned a Timex for about 25 years, are they any good these days or just cheap tat?

Rich,

I think the base models of Timex are really good for what they are they are low cost simple and pretty hardy

I have had one for 4 years and it's been great and has seen a lot of use out of doors...

I just ditched the strap it came with and fitted a Maratac..

The WS series is not really in the same league as the base models it's a significant step up..

To me they look like a prop from Space 1999... If I was looking for something like the WS4 I'd have a serious look at Suunto and also Casio Pathfinder as they seem to all be around the same price..

I have a Suunto Vector and it's been very very very good if you understand it and use it within its limitations....

HTH

John

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The backlight on the Timex is a great feature, has to be one of the easiest watches to use at night without loosing your night vision (if thats important to you).

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I've had the basic Expedition model for about 9 years now. After about 5 yrs Santa brought me an Expedition with alarm but the alarm setup stopped working within a year, so I went back to the basic Expedition again. Still going strong on its original battery. A big, plain easy-to-read face with 1st rate Indiglo backlighting for night use. When it gives up the ghost I'll be getting another. Well pleased.

resnikov

I have this timex, strap was a bit naff but replaced it as shown. Great watch, simple and it works. Plus it was cheapish so not to fussed if i loose it to the great kit eating god of the woods.
2011-02-28%25252022.11.34.jpg

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
I have a Timex Ironman Triatlon which I use for swimming, running and in the gym when needed. I got it a few years ago in the States for very little money and it's still going strong. For work and in the woods its a G-Shock all the way.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I've been wearing a WS4 every day for a couple of years now.It is extremely robust and has only sustained one scratch when I fell off a hill!
Battery lasts for ages (still on first one) and it does everything it says it will.
My only complaint is that it is too big to wear with regular street shirts.
Get one

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE