Tilly Lamp help needed please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
Admin if this is in the wrong area please move as necessary. thank's

This morning I went to the local Boot sale and managed to pick up a a red base Tilly Lamp for £2... Result! (I think)
It looks as though its had a hard life, but apears to have all the essentials.

I have not used one since my Scouts days (25 ish years ago) and cant recall what I need to check to make sure it's in safe working order before I fill it with fuel. and light it.
I cant even remember if these run on parafin or methalated spirits.
I would rather take advise on these forums where I know these lamps are most likely in comon use, than take my chances in a random google search.

one thing I have noticed is the base has a belly under it and does not sit flat on the outer rim if stood on a flat surface alloing it to rock slightly is this a problem?

How do I know if the piston needs an overhaul? ect

any advice will be appreciated.
Thank's in advance.

Ch@rlie

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
I have had, and still have four of these lanterns and have them "just in case" and also for those evenings out with a BBQ going.

If they have "bellied out" just take out the pressure pump and give it a smack with a rubber mallet, not too hard though.

Make sure the pump is "wet", preferably with paraffin for a day or two and put it back in the unit.

Turn off the valve going to the vaporising tube, and then give the pump a few good strokes, you should be able to feel resistance, if you don't give it some more, if you still don't get resistance it is likely the leather washer is damaged and a repair and refurb kit will be needed, about £8 for a full kit.

If you get a bit of resistance give it about a dozen extra strokes and leave over night, then open the valve to the vapour tube, you should hear a hiss, no hiss could be a problem.

Oghma

Jul 22, 2011
Dolly Tub City, NW England
2 quid? Blimey, I'm coming shopping with you next time I want any kit, LOL
Have a scour of eBay for service kits and spares - I got a pile of stuff including a brand new preheater and jar, several mantles, a washer kit, and a 'full service kit' (washer kit, plus springs/knobs, etc.) for just over a tenner. There's a hardware shop in Leics that sells new spares through eBay - I'll try to dig out his username and post it here.
Og

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... How do I know if the piston needs an overhaul? ect

any advice will be appreciated.

I think it's mostly been said. They're mostly very easy to maintain. With these leather washer type pumps, if they don't pump straight away I usually take the plunger out complete with leather washer, and if the washer looks OK (reasonably complete and not totally dried out) I *very* gently tease it a little way out so that it's just slightly difficult to get back in the pump body. You have to squeeze the washer a bit all round while gently pushing it back in. That usually does the trick. If it's very dry a bit of vaseline or grease or oil will help but if it's cracked and bits have fallen off obviously you'll need a new one.

There's a Turkish guy sells five washers for silly money on eBay and you can make a washer very easily. The little bit of rubber (if it has a bit of rubber) for the seal in the non-return valve at the bottom of the pump isn't so easy to make. It's tiny and it needs to be just the right shape. Fortunately they seem to last longer than the washers. They're about 2.50 or 3.00 from Base Camp but don't be in a hurry when you place the order. They're reliable, but of the reliable mail order firms that I know, they're one of the slowest.

If the lamp hasn't been used for decades sometimes the non-return valve will stick. Then it will probably seem very hard to pump and you'll get no pressure in the lamp. It can be as simple as taking it out, moving the rubber seal by hand and putting it back together. The non-return valve can be a bit awkward to get out, you might need a tool like a screwdriver with a slot cut in it. I had to make something for my Optimus. Off hand I can't remember what the Tilley is like, I have a couple but they're 1.,000 miles away or I'd nip and take a peek to remind me. There will be exploded diagrams and useful stuff on the Base Camp Website etc. which are worth a look. Once the valve is out of the pump you will see a little cylinder with a spring and the rubber seal. Easiest to take off the cylinder (brass threads, be careful) to free the seal. If it looks horribly mis-shapen or cracked you'll need a new one. You'll need a magnifying glass to inspect it, I need one just to see the bloomin' thing it's so small.

For the first few starts and few hours of running I'd only use it outside, and keep it away from kids/flammable materials/objects, just in case it has any surprises up its sleeve.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Wipe it with an oily rag, then sell it on ebay and buy a Vapalux instead.;)

Z

That's actually very good advice...:eek:

Tilley lamps can be an eternal source of frustration. The newer the lamp the greater the frustration IME.

From the OP's Discription it sounds like an X246b... Basecamp have all the parts and the service is good but as it's a one man band it can take a while.

Hootflipfloandfly is good I have ordered from them in the past. Unfortuately the new tilley vap tube they supplied was U/S which is not their fault but does say a lot about Tilley and the current state of their products. I had to send it back and they had to check with the 'supplier' etc in the end I think I had a new one back

IMHO the newer the Tilley the poorer the finish and general quality of the product.

Have fun with your new lantern. It might pay to ensure all of the airways in the mixing tubes in the top of the lantern are free from crud and spiders nests etc.. This can cause a lot of problems. Also order the correct Priming torch for Tilley lanterns a lot of poor running issues can be down to poor priming of the lantern. For some reason know only to them Tilley use a removeable priming torch ( which is easily lost). Vapalux has a nice Spirit cup affixed..

The more I think about it the better Zingmo's advice seems...

Have fun

John

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
Thanks for all the replies, very informative. looks like i need new washer kit for definate...

2 quid? Blimey, I'm coming shopping with you next time I want any kit, LOL
Get in the queue!

you think the tilly lamp was good! lol

2 weeks ago at a boot sale, I saw a router laying on the floor just thrown there no other tools at all..
I asked the woman how much is that power tool? she replied "Oh thats my husbands, 1 mo I'l ask him". the guy poked his head around from the back of his car with 2 cups of coffee, and replied "Oh the router"
I just replied "yeah, does it work?"
he replied "yeah it's yours for 2 pound".
I pulled a £10 note and he gave me the £8 change and the router.
I nearly could not walk away knowing what he had just sold me for £2

It is an Elu MOF96e (1/4" variable speed including the micro adjustable fence) and it works perfectly.

I can only assume he never purchased it, but must have been given it at some point.
You never know what bargins will turn up!

Last edited:

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... I nearly could not walk away knowing what he had just sold me for £2

It is an elu MOF96e (1/4" variable speed including the micro adjustable fence) and it works perfectly.

I can only assume he never purchased it, but must have been given it at some point.

Good grief! It must've been nicked. That's the same as mine and I can't bear to tell you what I paid!

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
It did cross my mind... but I'd like to hope he just didnt know what it was worth...
He cant of had a clue, because if he did he would have asked for hell of a lot more.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Good spot!

From what I remember, Rik_UK is also a bit of an expert in pressure lamps so, if you have any other issues, drop him a line. Surprised he's not been on already!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE