Tidying up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
43b6ccc640bf06debd72ad2e9a12caf9.jpg

Field beans are a little on the large side as the weather has been so mild!!
I've planted these this year as a green manure.
3d12a1de0ce872c0f236552d7242182d.jpg

Having a bit of a tidy up around the beds. Still need to manure up as well as pick up some top soil.
780fe2a2a6dcd044942c80b45b692fc0.jpg

Greenhouse looks a bit sad. The black on the soil are carpet tiles that I put down to keep the weeds down. The bits that are not covered are for lettuce.the green is wild rocket.
ead0bfcd7fe661f899563b310a568008.jpg

Strawberries flowering.
21bb48403ae1b197acea4d3315e88a96.jpg

Rasberries I need to ask about in another post.
That's it really.i was going to put up a post on a great course I went on with wildlife trails but sadly my dad died during the course and things have been a bit hectic and difficult since.
Dave

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Thanks Hugh it been really hard... tatting about it the gardens taking my mind of it a bit.
I'd really love to know what you've been up to allotment wise when you've got a minute.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sorry to hear about your Dad :sigh: My sincerest condolences.
Time doesn't heal the ache, but if life's busy then newer more immediate memories help fill up spaces. I think you're very wise to get out and work in the garden.

Your raspberries look like mine. I'm still picking a small bowlful every couple of days, and this is November !
I collected four times (froze the berries) and made raspberry sorbet :), I have the same amount of the fruits soaking in vodka, and the same again in vinegar. Mostly though we just munch them as we pass by.
It's been such a good year for fruit :)

Mary

Last edited:

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Sorry to hear about your Dad. As Toddy says, time doesn't stop the ache, but you get used to it. Time spent in a garden can be good contemplation time.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Thanks for that guys... I lost my mum a long time ago so been through it all before 😢
The Rasberries I'm confused about as unfortunately the labels came off them and I know some are autumn fruiting some are summer???
I'm not sure which to prune when!!!
Beautiful day here today....off to my mums grave to put some silk flowers down as my dads going with her and I want it to look nice for dads funeral.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tie a wee bit of something, even a strip off a plastic bag, round the bottom of the fruiting canes, now. Those are your Autumn ones.

Then take each cane one at a time and if it's totally brown and hard and brittle, cut it right out from the base. Those are dead and won't come again.

Now look at the unmarked canes that are left. Those are most likely your Summer ones, and they need pruned differently to the Autumn ones. The Autumn ones can be cut right down and will fruit on canes that grow next year. The Summer ones fruit on the new canes that grew this year and this year's old fruited canes need cut out, they won't fruit again. I cut my Autumn ones back when they've lost all leaves and gone brown. I know it's a bit early, but mine aren't trained onto wires, and it's easier this way.

The RHS says,
"Pruning
Regular annual pruning will result in healthier plants, and better quality crops.

Summer-fruiting raspberries
Cut back fruited canes to ground level after harvesting; do not leave old stubs
Select the strongest young canes, around six to eight per plant, and tie them in 8-10cm (3-4in) apart along the wire supports
Remove the remaining young stems to ground level
Autumn-fruiting raspberries
Cut back all the canes to ground level in February. Reduce the number of canes slightly in summer if they are very overcrowded."

atb,
Mary

Last edited:

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
daee289b64d44ccae991988497704efc.jpg

I'm still a bit confused about these..... Ive got it in my head that my sister bought me Glen Moy a summer fruiting variety. .... However I remember that she said she bought the raspberries as they will fruit from summer through autumn??? So wondering if there were mixed varieties after all but most canes have fruit.
The photo I took today.
Maybe I should pay more attention to when they start fruit get next year!!
D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It does vary hugely from place to place when things fruit. I wouldn't worry too much so long as they DO fruit:)

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
The did fruit BR but not a great deal..... I will thin out as some of the canes are quite a way from the mother plant....Ive been considering moving them and building a cage as I struggle to net them where they are against the fence ...we'll see...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE