Ticks and Hammocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk

Sorry, no I haven't. It's based on Citrinol which I've never found particularly effective for me but different formula work differently on people as far as I can tell. I'm told it's all about disguising your smell so I guess it will depend on your body chemistry.

I don't use a net over me in the hammock, In the UK I just apply a natural insect repellent and that has worked so far. It also keeps the slugs off your face when ground sleeping :)

Reactions: Sub5mango

Sub5mango

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2019
East Anglia
Sorry, no I haven't. It's based on Citrinol which I've never found particularly effective for me but different formula work differently on people as far as I can tell. I'm told it's all about disguising your smell so I guess it will depend on your body chemistry.

I don't use a net over me in the hammock, In the UK I just apply a natural insect repellent and that has worked so far. It also keeps the slugs off your face when ground sleeping :)
HaHa, I've never had the slug problem... but I'm a mouth breather and I never wake up hungry, maybe they just crawl straight into my gob!
Interesting on disguising body smell. Recently I switched to a very low carb diet from a sugary diet. It's early days yet, but I think the mozzies/gnats are far less attracted to me.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
DEET was chosen for blocking mosquito's receptors not for general insect repellent, not to say that it might work on others too. Otherwise it is fairly nasty liquid. I have not met a study of how ticks sense their victims other than just catching on anything walking brushing by.

Reactions: Sub5mango

Sub5mango

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2019
East Anglia
DEET was chosen for blocking mosquito's receptors not for general insect repellent, not to say that it might work on others too. Otherwise it is fairly nasty liquid. I have not met a study of how ticks sense their victims other than just catching on anything walking brushing by.
I've read that they sense heat and CO2.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE