Tick Repellant

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Survivor

Nomad
Feb 1, 2013
On Earth
Doesn't that interfere with ones WOLB* klaxon? Very important when keeping ahead of the Sherpa's.

*(Watch Out Low Branch)

Simples, one just switches on the GTSBOOMW function. (Get That Stupid Branch Out Of My Way). It is a sort of laser thing.

Sherpas ride on the hover trailer.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I don't know what The Survivor & Goatboy are drinking, but I want some!

Well Bartooon, in one's inbuilt minibar one has a stock of medicinal alcohols, Gin - Never had malaria due to lots of G&T's, Rum - Only alcohol to raise blood temp due to sugar content, whisky - In case one needs to cut off one of my own limbs off after tiger attack. Have done away with the pygmy bar man as we all have to make sacrifices to weight these days. Today was a mix of French Martini's with the alfresco luncheon and then a bracing double brace of Gibson's as an aperitif before nanny serves tea in the garden.

Toodle Pip,

GB.

Last edited:

Bartooon

Nomad
Aug 1, 2007
New Forest
Well Bartooon, in one's inbuilt minibar one has a stock of medicinal alcohols, Gin - Never had malaria due to lots of G&T's, Rum - Only alcohol to raise blood temp due to sugar content, whisky - I case I need to cut one of my own limbs off after tiger attack. Have done away with the pygmy bar man as we all have to make sacrifices to weight these days. Today was a mix of French martini's with the alfresco luncheon and then a bracing double brace of Gibson's as an aperitif before nanny serves tea in the garden.

Toodle Pip,

GB.

That explains a lot :D

The Survivor

Nomad
Feb 1, 2013
On Earth
Well Bartooon, in one's inbuilt minibar one has a stock of medicinal alcohols, Gin - Never had malaria due to lots of G&T's, Rum - Only alcohol to raise blood temp due to sugar content, whisky - In case one needs to cut off one of my own limbs off after tiger attack. Have done away with the pygmy bar man as we all have to make sacrifices to weight these days. Today was a mix of French Martini's with the alfresco luncheon and then a bracing double brace of Gibson's as an aperitif before nanny serves tea in the garden.

Toodle Pip,

GB.

One should never drink and hover though.

See ya,

Survivor

Bartooon

Nomad
Aug 1, 2007
New Forest
Just wear nylons...

believe it or not some military guys wear them to keep the ticks and leaches off.

My wife already wonders why I go off the woods with a jumbo jar of petroleum jelly and cotton wool. Earlier in this thread I find that I need to use her Veet to get a the anti-tick patch stick. On top of that, it recently took me some time to convince her that the "Horny Viking" I was Facebook messaging was, in fact, an Icelandic blacksmith (still not sure she believes me!) and now you are telling me to wear nylons!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
My wife already wonders why I go off the woods with a jumbo jar of petroleum jelly and cotton wool. Earlier in this thread I find that I need to use her Veet to get a the anti-tick patch stick. On top of that, it recently took me some time to convince her that the "Horny Viking" I was Facebook messaging was, in fact, an Icelandic blacksmith (still not sure she believes me!) and now you are telling me to wear nylons!

Just tell her about my pygmy manservant/barman that I take bushcrafting...

davidpingu

Forager
Nov 3, 2012
Cwmbran
Sorry if this has been posted before but thought it might be useful. Lifted from google:

Natural Ways to Repel Ticks

1. When trying to keep yourself free of ticks this summer, you may want to consider your yard first, and make sure it isn’t inviting the pests in. Remove leaf litter and clear tall grasses and shrubs around the home. Use wood chips or gravel between lawns and wooded areas to keep ticks away from lawns, play areas, and recreational areas.

2. If you’re headed out hiking, try these natural repellant ideas:
Citrus repellant: Boil citrus peels (orange, lime, lemon) in water, let cool, and apply to skin. The easiest way is to put the solution in a spray bottle. Take with you and reapply as needed.
Other oils: Mix any of the following with a carrier oil like almond oil to create a natural repellant: rosemary, geranium, basil, cedar, cinnamon, lemon, lavender, and pennyroyal. Mix three oils maximum with pure almond oil and apply to skin.

3. Repel Plant Based Lemon Eucalyptus: This natural insect repellant got high marks from Consumer Reports for repelling mosquitoes and ticks. There are other natural solutions out there if you’d rather not make your own—Lakon Herbals’ Bygone Bugz is another example, along with Quantum Herbal Products’ natural tick repellant spray.

4. Soap repellant: Try mixing 10-15 drops of essential oils (lemon balm, pennyroyal, lavender, or rose geranium) with one ounce of liquid soap—wash in the solution before going outdoors.

5. Garlic pills: Ticks don’t like the smell, so enjoy a nice Greek or Italian meal, or consider taking odorless garlic pills before going out.

I vouch for the nylons method too, and they stop chaffing in the thighs as well. The best repellent I've heard of is using a rank concoction of cigarette buts and beer, it's isn't pretty but it works. Basically you steep the dog ends in the beer for a week or so then strain it into a spray bottle, however I doubt anyone will ever use that method. I was told it by an elderly farm worker, he used it, safer than sheep dip which knowing him was plan b lol

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The nictotine and beer probably work by making you taste both toxic and bitter. Ticks arent put off by smell, they hang about on long grass waiting for movement from something warm blooded. The nylons would provide a good physical barrier, but they dont look good on hairy legs.

Permetherin treated clothes work. DEET doesnt work well on ticks at all. http://www.lymeneteurope.org/info/deet-versus-permethrin-as-a-tick-repellent

Most army surplus clothes are already treated with permetherin. Dont apply permetherin to your skin your skin oil deactivates it.

The bug oil we sell [see link to thread in sig line]is neem oil based. Neem oil is what is in sheep dip used by organic farmers, the herbal tick repellant for pets, and is what greenhouse keepers use to kill red spider mite on indoor crops. Ticks dont bite through it.

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
I suffered from ticks last year doing a lot of foraging and walking in meadows but Woodstock introduced me to bug oil at the moot and it is great I will never use anything else it is probably my most used item in my day bag

Regards Dave (caps lock )
@mouseinthewood

polymathproducts

Silver Trader
I've had some pretty horrific experiences with ticks.
After a week in a heavily infested (deer heavy) area I removed a total of 185 from my body, I always seem to attract the damn things.
I've had Lyme disease too.

Now I often take fresh garlic bulbs with me, finely crush it and rub it into my skin, OK so you're also going to repel people but I've found it to be very effective.
I've often heard it recommended to eat the garlic (and thus excrete the compounds or metabolites of compounds) but I've found the effect better when applied directly.

Permethrin is also effective, and thousands of times more toxic to ticks than you and I.

-Sam

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE